Killington, a First for Everything {1-20-11}

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotzman

Reaction score
Mountain: Killington, VT 1-20-11

Trail: Bucklin

Hikers: Solo

The way the hike unfolded this was a hike that had several first time experiences, some good one or two unfortunate. I had originally had the idea of doing this as a full moon, sunrise hike on Wednesday but do to the storm and freezing rain on Tuesday decided to push it back a day. Then do to several no forecasted view, no one else coming, I decided to bump the start back a few hours and do it as a day hike instead.

Thanks to the directions and input from several members I found the trailhead easily and was able to start on the trail a little before 9AM. I was excited about this hike for several reasons: it would be my first venture into hiking in Vermont and although I have done alot of solo hiking during the three seasons, this was my first during the winter. I was also anxious to get a start on a new list. I completed my ADK 46 last fall and am now working on the 111.

The trail from the start was well packed and broken in by XC skiers; I didn't see another snowshoe track the entire day. Due to the freezing rain several days before, the snow was crystallized and fairly crunchy. At the lower levels the snow depth was close to 1.5' and more like 3' towards the summit. I had read someplace that one had to be careful not to get on the wrong trail close to the start because of the XC trails that intersect the Bucklin and both are blue, but I had no problems at all staying on path.
100_2381.jpg

The first half of the trail was quite flat and easy and then at I would guess the two mile mark the climbing began. There aren't any steep pitches up to the shelter just a continual upward grade. I was excited as it gave me the chance to use my ascender bars on my Evo's for the first time! They work like a charm. :D From the start on up to the shelter the trail was well packed with three to six inches of loose snow on top.
100_2386.jpg

During the climb I started to realize that my energy level wasn't where it usually is and I was getting winded much faster than usual. Looking back I think it's probably the combination of being the biggest hike in the past few months, not having done cardio in at least a week and having started a restrictive diet at the start of this week. Regardless my stamina just wasn't as strong as I thought it would be, so I slowed the pace down a bit and kept chugging toward the summit.
100_2390.jpg

The weather was around 10F but the wind wasn't bad so it was quite pleasant to hike in. When I reached the AT/LT intersection I was surprised to see that it showed no signs of being used. The only tracks I saw all day were XC there led the way up the Bucklin trail and various diversions from it. By the time I reached the shelter I was ready for a quick lunch break. PB&J always hits the spot! I washed it down with some nice hot tea and threw on another layer of clothes and prepared to make the summit. I continued to follow the ski tracks, past the privy until I came into view of the ski lift and realized that this wasn't the trail for the Killington converter. After a quick backtrack I found the sign marking the start of the summit trail. I suddenly became aware of something else...the end of broken trail. Apparently no one has been up the connector trail this season, as I couldn't spot any indentation from a packed trail and soon was up to my knees in snow. I hadn't put on the tails to my Evo's because everything up to the shelter had been hard packed and no need for them. Well, now there was definitely a need for them but I thought to myself...it's only .2 to the summit, I'll just trudge my way up rather than take the time to unpack them and put them on. hmmm
100_2394.jpg

I make no pretenses to be a strong trail-breaker nor a love for it, but I tackled the trail with zeal as I had no other choice. The going was slow, really slow. The combination of 3' of snow and a very steep ascent made it extremely tiring and the gain minimal. After going 3.5 miles this last .2 was really pushing the limit of my energy. I was making progress but at a rate and energy consumption that was making me wonder if it would be possible. I would take a step up and slide right back down, and I neared the summit there was a lack of trees or anything else to help pull on for leverage. Every time I lifted my legs now they were also starting to cramp up. I was, I'm guessing within 100 yards of the summit, when with the wind and cold and no visibility in sight, had to make the tough decision to turn back and not waste any more energy in what was seeming a futile task. :( It was the first time that I've been forced to turn around and not make the summit of the mountain of goal. As disappointed as I was, I felt content with the decision. With one last glance up at the summit, turned and charged my way back down the slope I had just clawed to so mightily to ascend.
100_2396.jpg

I did get a chance to try some butt-sliding for the first time. haha On the descent I made a quick pit stop at the shelter only to find that six snowboarders had taken up refuge for a break themselves. ;)
100_2400.jpg

The rest of the hike out went smooth and quickly, back to the Jeep and the drive back home and to work. :eek: Even though I didn't get to accomplish what I set out for, it was a mostly enjoyable time, with memories I soon won't forget. :) I am ready to take my revenge out on Mt Killington...

Hows does that saying go, "getting to the summit is optional, making it back to the bottom is mandatory"?

If you went out, had fun and made it back, I still consider it a good day hiking. I expect the next time you try it later in the winter, its going to be broken out and the weather will be warmer. No need to "waste" a good summit on a day where you wouldnt have been able to see anything.

Ah...its a pretty rugged and steep to the top there, good show of grit.
Isn't that a pretty area? I used to run Wheelerville rd out 4 miles or so and back almost every afternoon after work when I lived there with my dogs. Lots of good bushwacking and exploring of snowmobule trails in that little wilderness between killington and shrewsbury peak.
Well you did a great job of breaking it out for Tom Rankin and Laurie!

Hows does that saying go, "getting to the summit is optional, making it back to the bottom is mandatory"?

If you went out, had fun and made it back, I still consider it a good day hiking. I expect the next time you try it later in the winter, its going to be broken out and the weather will be warmer. No need to "waste" a good summit on a day where you wouldnt have been able to see anything.
Right on, that's pretty much my thinking too.

Ah...its a pretty rugged and steep to the top there, good show of grit. Isn't that a pretty area?

Thanks. It was pretty sweet up top, all encased in snow. :)