Killington Ski Trails?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PamW

Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Mansfield Saturday and Killington Sunday. According to the GMC mud season is over and hiking is fine. However, the folks I spoke with thought the Killington ski trails would be too muddy to responsibly hike, but weren't really sure. I couldn't find any recent on-line reports. Killington's summer season opens late June. Anyone have any advice/knowledge to share? We're planning on going in via the Long Trail/AT and Pico and will do an out and back otherwise. Just looking to shorten the trip a little. The Bucklin trail is closed due to Irene damage.

Last edited:
If hiking Killington there's no reason to take an arbitrary route up the ski trails. They have 10 marked & signed hiking routes which will get you there by either following designated ski trails, work roads, or going up through the woods. Note that route "C" is the gravel work road. Unless it's closed due to construction equipment for the new peak lodge (note: there is currently no summit lodge) that's going to be fine for feet.

Killington hiking map

hiking-map-flat.jpg

Last edited:
Side note: the GMC website states "Bucklin Trail is now a river (until field crew fixes it Summer '12)"

Cool. Yeah, I found that map but wasn't sure anything would be ok, given what the folks on the phone said. Thanks!

Side note: the GMC website states "Bucklin Trail is now a river (until field crew fixes it Summer '12)"

Yeah, that's what they told me. I just got a reply elsewhere that there is a well-established bushwhack around the washed out section. I think I'll avoid it anyway.

If anything, my personal feeling is that if it's muddy or soft they'll be holding off on construction equipment, so get in there and get 'er done. I can't imagine the work road not being firm enough for feet.

As for ski area policy, no idea.

Yeah, that's what they told me. I just got a reply elsewhere that there is a well-established bushwhack around the washed out section. I think I'll avoid it anyway.

Yes, it's quite an established bushwack and quite used from the looks of it. It starts not terribly far into the trail and pretty much goes around the "river" just before the Bucklin trail heads up.. it's flagged quite a bit and is definitely quite used...

Was on the trail back in February and since it was cold but not snowy, the ground was hard and not muddy at all. Didn't even need snowshoes...

Jay

Yes, it's quite an established bushwack and quite used from the looks of it. It starts not terribly far into the trail and pretty much goes around the "river" just before the Bucklin trail heads up.. it's flagged quite a bit and is definitely quite used...

Was on the trail back in February and since it was cold but not snowy, the ground was hard and not muddy at all. Didn't even need snowshoes...

Jay

Jay, is the trail legally open? We're going to be in the vicinity the last week of June, and were hoping to climb it...but would prefer not to climb a ski trail or service roads.

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/news.php?id=258

Honestly did not know about the closure, but knew the trail was flagged and rerouted (based on a trip report here) so we went from the Bucklin trail to Killington and Pico and out via the Shelburne trail as a car spot..

You might also consider the Shelburne trail which starts from across the "Inn at Long trail". You can certainly do Pico and Killington would be a long approach but doable and pretty. Mendon would be an even longer day.

Jay

It has been quite awhile but I remember the walk out and back via Sherburne Trail and the old AT from Pico and Killington and back as a pleasant walk through the woods on the ridge with occasional view spots down the slopes. Very reminiscient of the Abraham Ellen hike but shorter. Plus having the Inn at the Long Trail as a goal at the end of the hike is a big plus. If Pico cabin is still there it quite a testament to building a shelter with local materials. I havent heard any great things about the AT relocation that avoids Pico, the standard comment is its a PUD.

The one time I went down Killington via the ski trails, I remember it as getting boring about 1/3 of the way down. Lots of trash from winter skiing, and eroded out ditches or steep gravel paths with loose stone. It wouldnt be my choice but HYOH.

The Pico shelter is still standing and in great shape (Feb'12). The same can not be said for the one by Killington which was pretty trashed and full of broken glass and liter (probably a drinking spot for the skiers since the ski trails were open in February). The Pico shelter on the other hand was very clean and in good shape.

(And I agree that the sherburne trail is a pretty trail with most of the elevation gained on the road to the trailhead)

Jay

Anyone know the status of the old carriage road (part of the route to Mendon, and another way to get up to the LT/AT on the back of Killington) as of Irene?

Does that carriage road pretty much starts at the Bucklin trailhead? I noticed when I was there in feb that there was a road that looked like it could be used to directly hike Mendon from the Bucklin trailhead parking (rather than say go up the bucklin trail, south on the LT and then whack along the ridgeline from the LT...

I do not know the status of it, sorry!

Jay

Correct. That carriage road is the typical route to Mendon. Follow it to a certain turn at a certain elevation then start 'whacking. If you stay on the carriage road, and don't miss an important turn, it will come out on the AT/LT just south of Cooper Lodge. Makes for a nice Mendon/Killington combination, and descending via Bucklin puts you right back at the car.

Did Ramshead, Snowdown and Killington 10-12 years ago via the slopes/their hiking trails. Good views along the way.