Kinsman Ridge Trail to Mount Cannon (nixed the crossing to the Kinsmans)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sematary

Reaction score
For those of you who are familiar with this trail, you know that once you enter the woods, it begins to ascend quickly. The trail is ICY - very icy. I read a report from last Sunday that said that Microspikes were ok on the way up but that crampons were recommended for the descent. There WERE people on the trail with Microspikes today but they were having a very difficult time. I had Crampons the entire way. The first half mile was icy but had some light snow cover. After that, it got extremely difficult - very steep, as you are probably aware, and extremely icy. I recommend bringing your Crampons if you're planning on going tomorrow. After it levels out further up it's not bad and Microspikes would be fine, but I don't like changing out if I don't have to so I didn't.

After summiting Cannon, I attempted to follow the Kinsman Ridge Trail but after making the turn towards Lonesome Lake Trail .4 after Cannon, it became quickly apparent that there was no way I was going to make this hike with the gear I had. I had my Crampons but at approximately .6 or thereabouts, the trail becomes extremely steep - almost vertical in places and is completely ice covered. I started to do the descent but quickly realized that without Ice climbing spikes and an ice hammer, it was simply going to be too dangerous and too slow to continue on, so I headed back and will save South Kinsman for another day. Enjoy if you're out their tomorrow!