Kinsmans, Cannonballs, Cannon 10/17/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Feathered Hat

Reaction score
Trails: Basin-Cascades, Cascade Brook, Kinsman Pond, Kinsman Ridge, Taft ski run, old Tuckerbrook ski trail.
Miles: ~14
Elevation gain: approx. 4,800 feet
Time: 10 hours, 45 minutes

You know how it is with Rocket21. You agree to something that's reasonable, then pretty soon he's got you agreeing, in that fast-talking way of his, to something else and then he adds, hey, why not up the ante a little more just to make things interesting? Note to self: do not ever shoot pool with this guy.

So it was that what had originally been conceived as an exploration of the old, abandoned Tuckerbrook ski trail off of Mittersill Peak turned into a 14-mile, nearly 5,000-foot vertical ascent of the Kinsman peaks followed by a traverse over the Cannonballs and then an ascent to the Cannon Mountain summit before, finally, taking Tuckerbrook for the hike out. Throw in some snow and ice and you realize you've been hustled into an epic journey. And here you were thinking: Saturday stroll.

After spotting a car at the bottom of Tuckerbrook, we got under way around 8 a.m. from an empty trailhead at The Basin in the Notch. The weather looked promising -- chilly but clear, windless, and just a few wispy stratus clouds high above. We crunched over some frozen mud, then began to see icicles in Cascade Brook beside the Basin-Cascades Trail...
4021788619_6da2a446ca.jpg

... and soon after, at the 2,500-foot level, we reached snow.
4021793157_46afa6a678.jpg

By the time we got to Kinsman Pond we realized two things: One, Microspikes were going to be the order of the day; two, we could not have got better weather. It was to be one of the loveliest days in the Whites any of us, including the dog, had ever experienced (although when Rocket21 makes categorical statements, put your hand on your wallet and don't let go). Tuckerman also found the ice that had made Kinsman Pond into a peaceful, shimmering plain very much to his liking:
4022562090_9d657300da_b.jpg

We got on up to North Kinsman and took the usual photos...
4021810353_f51e422b55.jpg

..and then on to South Kinsman, where we met some hikers, including JandJ and a couple of dogs and where Tuckerman tried to steal a guy's glove until Rocket21 smooth-talked the dog out of his prize. (Note to dog: do not ever play fetch with Rocket.) Here's when I realized the truth of the situation: Tuckerman and Rocket were beginning to bond. I thought, this guy is trying to hustle me out of my dog. Sad but true...
4022584452_691cc9ea44.jpg

Okay, I figured, Tuck is a big boy, he can take care of himself. Indeed, as we carefully picked our way down some nasty, icy chutes going over the Cannonballs, Tuckerman could always be found at the bottom waiting for us. You could see the embarrassment in his face: stupid two-leggeds. No claws!
4022586052_db6cbbbb58.jpg

Crossing the Cannonballs seemed to take hours. You think you've finally got rid of them but there's always one more. And then when you really are rid of the damn things, there's that ridiculous climb up from the saddle between Northeast Cannonball and the shoulder of Cannon Mountain. Just below the junction with the Hi-Cannon Trail we met a couple of unhappy tourist hikers (running shoes, jackets from Macy's, no gloves). "We didn't expect so much snow," the woman cried. "Check your pockets," I advised the boyfriend after Rocket had passed by. After cresting the mountain's shoulde, we reached the Cannon tower and watched Tuckerman get a swelled head from all the tram-tourists petting him. The wispy stratus clouds had by now thickened into ribbons, but still the late afternoon was gorgeous. Looking down into the Easton Valley from the summit tower...
4021835621_8ee1942ba9.jpg

"Are you finally ready now for the Tuckerbrook Trail?" I asked Rocket. "The reason for this whole fandango?" He said if Tuckerman was, he was -- too late, however, I realized he was baiting my dog. Up on Mittersill Peak, the face of the Cannonballs in the background, Rocket gets ready to unwrap a fresh steak for Tuck...
4021846705_8a9b48601b_b.jpg

After that it was all downhill -- literally. We descended the Tuckerbrook Trail in beautiful fading light (near the bottom, it had faded to the point where Tuckerman mistook a tree stump for a bear). As the snow began to run out we were treated to a lovely sunset through the birches...
4021848675_2c679e847e.jpg

Finally back at the car I made a quick check to see if I still had all my valuables. Yep. Looks like Rocket limited the hustling just to route-picking and some teasing with the dog. But later I realized he had used sneaky mind games to make me forget my gloves on top of the car. Oh well, I needed new gloves for winter anyway. The bill's in the mail, Rocket.

Full set of 35 photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99682097@N00/sets/72157622610551828/

Steve B
The Feathered Hat
[email protected]

Snow -- yay!

Ice in spots on the trail -- not so yay.

Frozen mud near the trailhead: cool but weird.

Couple of narrow, icy chutes going down on the Cannonballs, and I tried not to let Big Boss Man know I was kinda scared. He knew anyway, though.

No poop to speak of. What's up with that? Is it gonna be this way from now until next May?

I mistook a tree stump for a bear, but hey, the light was bad!

*** Three sniffs (out of four). This hike was kinda long for me, with all the ups and downs. But T-Dog still says: check it out. There's probably a fresh bone in it for you for the accomplishment. (There was for me!)

Last edited:
Great trip report, Steve -- thanks, too, for embedding the photographs along with the narrative.

Nice shot of your boy Tuckerman at Kinsman Pond. Looks like he's getting bigger, too -- almost half Jeremy's size.

(Fine use of the word "fandango," as well.)

Clay

We just missed you! Alex and I ascended Cannon via Lonesome Lake and Kinsman Ridge Trails yesterday (TR to come later tonight).

Your pictures do the beautiful day justice. Great shots. Good to hear you folks had a nice day up there.

Fine reporting.

Crossing the Cannonballs seemed to take hours. You think you've finally got rid of them but there's always one more. And then when you really are rid of the damn things, there's that ridiculous climb up from the saddle between Northeast Cannonball and the shoulder of Cannon Mountain.
How true!

And nice, road-less-traveled kind of finish

A dog-gone good report Steve! Hey, has Rocket switched from Bill Cosby impersonations to that of that of Paul Newman "The Hustler"?:D

Great report Steve..

sorry to have missed this hike which looked terrific on a fine fall day

some great photos..i love the ones of frozen Kinsman Pond..

I think jeremy had something going with Grumpgran's dog Finn on Waumbek today as well..

wonder what thats all about...

Thank you for the kind responses. You're very thoughtful, all of you.

Trish, I'm sorry we missed you, Alex and your new companions up on top of Cannon. We got up there at, let's see, it was about 4 p.m., and we hung out in the tramhouse for a while because Rocket said he couldn't finish the hike unless he smelled fried grease. We must've missed you by just minutes.

And, silverfox, what is up with Rocket buddying up to everyone else's dog? His pandering to Terra is already well-known, and now he's added two more pooches to his krewe. He needs to get his own damn dog!

A dog-gone good report Steve! Hey, has Rocket switched from Bill Cosby impersonations to that of that of Paul Newman "The Hustler"?:D

He seems to have moved on to more sophisticated impersonations these days. Coming down from Carrigain a few weeks ago he was impersonating George Lindsey impersonating Cary Grant. Given that it was my first real VFTT hike, it was a bit much. I wasn't expecting such sophisticated stuff. I need to do some studying before I can head out with this group again.