Knee braces

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proszach

Reaction score
Sorry everyone. I know I keep coming back with the same topics, but this is important...
So I wandered into a CVS to pick up a heat pad for my knee, and I noticed they had quite a large selection of cheap knee braces, ranging from $10 to $35. Anyone ever purchased a brace in this price range?? Reminder that my knee problem is the one where I encounter pain on the downhill. Just trying to get an idea of whether or not I should get one, although the stretching and strengthening exercises have been great so far. Thanks!

sounds like yer problem might be kneecap not tracking properly in which case brace might be overkill. you might could get by with just taping. my suggestion is buy a prof taping instr book befo going to brace. ;)

I have had problems with chondromalacia patella and have found the braces to be helpful on occasion. Untlmately the solution was reconditioning the quads.

Type of brace: neopreme--wraps around knee and fastens with velcro. Hole over kneecap. No bones (support rods). It is more comfortable if placed over fabric (such as long-johns or a _lightly_ wrapped ace bandage). _Don't_ waste your time with a non-adjustable elastic brace--always too loose or tight and doesn't stay up well.

There are _many_ other causes of knee pain than chondromalacia. See a doctor and get it professionally diagnosed. Then you can decide how to treat it.

Note also that muscle internal mechanisms are different for producing energy (going uphill) and absorbing energy (going downhill). Most exercises target production--you may need to do specific exercises to build the absorbtion. My favorite is to walk up and down a local hill (short enough for a workout without injury) and gradually increase the weight in a pack from nothing to about 45lbs. Do it every other day (you need the rest day or you will overtrain and damage the muscles). A big helper for the hikes.

Doug

I'd also like to recommend the neopreme knee(brace/wrap) they fit comfortably around knee and fasten well with velcro. The hole over kneecap provides for good flexibility. I always wear mine whenever I hike, bike or run. The best ones can be found in a sporting goods store. I got mine at Sports Authority for about $40.00.

You might want to go to a sports medicine doctor and get your knee checked. They would be able to fit you for a knee brace which will give you enough flexibility to hike. But try the neoprene brace first, it might just do the trick for you. :)

Last edited:
years ago I was diagnosed with what I think the Doc called "sloppy knee". Regular exercise is probably the best thing,
but I also use these, when I remember to put them on.
They are pretty inexpensive, were recommended through a third party and might be all you need. They seem to help.
Knee operations are probably in our future, but I'll avoid that for as long as possible.

I started having some knee pain while descending last year. I purchased a neoprene knee brace and it has helped quite a bit. I also started taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin which has also helped. Both were recommended by an orthopedic surgeon I know.

Bad knees

My climbing partner were a white elastic brace on both knees, they do the trick for him. I where a black brace that velcros around my right knee with metal hinged rods in them. Both braces are in the price range you mentioned. For me it is also always on the downhill that they are most needed. I think the taping may be overkill but worth a try if nothing else works.

I think starting with the least amount of support and working up from there is a good strategy. Adding trekking poles also helped me alot!

Good luck and good hiking.

-PJ-

Cho-Pat knee supports

Generally speaking, downhills are hard on knee joints and uphills are hard on thighs.

A local physical therapist, who is into biking and running, recommends braces by Cho-pat.