Knife Edge; Baxter vs Capitol

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knife Edge; Baxter vs Capitol Peak

• They're about the same...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Motabobo

Reaction score
How does Baxter's Knife Edge compares with the one of Capitol Peak in Colorado ?

Capitol is more intimidating. The knife edge crux is narrower, with a farther drop. Also, the general route-finding is much tougher on Capitol, not to mention altitude, a longer approach. You might want to hone your "butt-scooching" skills before heading up to Capitol.

Still, if you're okay with exposure and you have good weather, there isn't anything that a little caution can't overcome on Capitol.

Absolutely no comparison; Capitol makes Katahdin look like a walk on a garden path. I barely had to use my hands on the Knife Edge. I stood at the start of the knife edge on Capitol and can confidently say that it's a whole order of magnitude greater pucker factor.

lRCapi_121.jpg

Peakbagr said:
Really nice, Julie. Wish my high school French was up to speed so I could follow more of the dialogue.

Alan
Careful what you wish for: they might be making fun of you.

The funny thing is, both knife edges are the kinds of things that mountain goats and sheep can just gallop across, probably with their eyes closed. I wonder if we'd be better off with hooves? Or wings for that matter.

One things fer shure: I wouldn't do that Capitol Ridge naked.

-Dr. Wu

Yeah I'm kind of surprised that a search for a TR here came up empty :eek:

I attempted Capitol in late June 2006. After reaching the Daly-Capitol saddle above Capitol Lake and looking down into the snow-filled basin one must drop into before climbing up to the ridge (the classic route), the summit was out of the question as an ice ax was really necessary that early in the season and I didn't bring one. :(

I didn't even make it to the hard, scary stuff!

The approach is long but spectacularly beautiful.

Some more info here

I'll return!

Last edited:
Capitol peak surely beats Katadin. I have climbed alot in CO and NH and have grown accomstomed to people saying the Whites just as tough or harder, please, Capitol is just one peak thats tough, the Bells, pyramid, little bear are in a whole different league then the Whites. That being said, there are many easy 14ers as well that besides the altitude can compare to the Whites, but you could never say in general the Whites are as tough or katadin, believe it or not I do not like katadin, done it once, to long to get to for what you get, once is enough.