Kurt Diemberger talk, AMC-Joy St, 2/9/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been told Diemberger is a great speaker and puts on a really good presentation.

Brian

# # #

Kurt Diemberger

Where: AMC Cabot Auditorium, 4 Joy Street, Boston

When: Wednesday, February 9th

Time: 7:00 pm

Tickets: $10.00 per person - No advance purchase available only at the door.

Come and join Kurt Diemberger for a unique presentation on the historical first ascent of Dhaulagiri, one of the first 8000's ever climbed without the use of supplemental oxygen. This is the story of a ten-year challenge to climb one of the most difficult and deadliest of the Himalayan giants. Dhaulagiri has a 40% fatality rate, compared with K2's 25%, and Everest's 10%. Kurt Diemberger will share the story of the biggest effort in mountaineering during "The Challenge of the Decade".

The second part of Kurt's lecture will be about the biggest challenge yet in the Himalayas: the great ridge of Everest, or as it is internationally known, the "Great Ridge of the Future". This is a monumental traverse along its entire length, which has never yet been attempted . The quest for the ridge started when Kurt Diemberger pioneered the first summit of the great ridge (with Hermann Warth and the help of Sherpa Nawang Tenzing, who remained waiting in a lower camp) on top of Shartse (7500 m). Ever since, many other segments of the traverse have been completed, yet no one has linked the entire traverse. Many of Kurt's famous pictures and film clips, as well as many unpublished ones will be presented.

Kurt Diemberger is the only remaining person alive that made the first ascents on two mountains over 8,000 metres. In 1957, he made the first ascent of Broad Peak, and in 1960, the first ascent of Dhaulagiri, both without the use of supplemental oxygen.

Kurt has written exceptional mountaineering books since 1971, including among others: Summits and Secrets, The Endless Knot, K2 Mountain of Dreams and Destiny, K2, Challenging the Sky, The Kurt Diemberger Omnibus. Kurt is still active in the mountaineering world and continues to work on film projects all over the world.

A limited number of classic books will be available for sale by Kurt.

I have never heard him speak about his survival of the 1986 disaster on K2 in which his friends Julie Tullis and Alan Rouse died; I wonder if that topic will come up in his slide presentation?

I don't care if he speaks well or not, the guy's a legend :D

I don't care if he speaks well or not, the guy's a legend :D

I agree entirely! I last heard Kurt speak at Neptune Mountaineering in Boulder, probably a couple of years before he and Julie Tullis summited on K2 in 1986; that was one fabulous lecture, and then he hung around and answered questions for a couple of hours, and then we went out for beer with him after that.

But, on another occasion, I went to Neptune's to hear Warren Harding give a slide talk after he had begun to lose his voice, and all of these young hot shot climber punks were incredibly rude by talking loudly at the back of the shop making it hard to hear Warren. Amazing old black and white photos of the early days in The Valley, by another legend, may he rest in peace.

I have never heard him speak about his survival of the 1986 disaster on K2 in which his friends Julie Tullis and Alan Rouse died; I wonder if that topic will come up in his slide presentation?

I heard him at UNH maybe 10 years ago (when Omnibus came out), it wasn't mentioned then.

Yes, he is a legend having climbed with even earlier pioneers such as Buhl, but at the time of his talk I think he was doing most of his expeditions in the tropics.

This is simply dreadful, but Kurt just bust his spleen and is recovering from surgery! The talk has been postponed indefinitely, alas.

I wish him a speedy recovery! Please do pass word to those you know who may have planning to attend.

Brian