Lafayette & Big Bickford: 5K + 3K = ?????

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
4/26/2012 - OK, so, I was suffering from bushwhack withdrawal but I wanted some decent cardio, so, the perfect combo: Lafayette & Big Bickford!!! YAY!!! I hadn't been up the Skookumchuck in a few years. I had forgotten how much I LOVE that trail!!! Not the most popular route to the summit, it still has much of its treadway. Throughout the day, I saw *noone* - ODD for such an AWESOME day!!!

Nice big stepping stones along the Skookumchuck Trail:
P1000892-rocksonskook.jpg

Through the trees, you can barely make out the summit of Lafayette:
P1000894-summitfromlowonskook.jpg

Snow coating and monorail above 4000'! The recent snow squalls mean SMILEY FACES!!!
P1000899-happyface.jpg

Typical trail view - a nice coating:
P1000898-snowonskook.jpg

Near North Lafayette - funky stones:
P1000902-rockonrock.jpg

The summit was actually glistening in the sun!!!
P1000903-summitcairns.jpg

Actual proof at the summit - no speed records today - just enjoying!!! Where is everybody???
P1000904-summitpic.jpg

The next target - Big Bickford - accessible from the Skook Trail....via bushwhack (I only used a map & compass & altimeter which was a little squirrelly due to pressure changes). The woods had MANY herd paths in actual use - I followed moose footprints often.
P1000907-towardsbigbickford.jpg

Making my way to Big Bickford: I slabbed along glade after glade of birch. If you slip, watch it - there's, ahem, moose scat *everywhere* - watch your step, especially on the summit!!!!
P1000908-woodsofbigbickford.jpg

And finally, after the summit, heading back towards Lafayette - you can barely see it - it's like a ghost ahead:
P1000911-lafayettesghost.jpg

Back to the trail, back to the car. ENJOY!!!!

Cool trip!! Nice birch glades.

And I think I enjoy saying Skookumchuck as much as I like hiking Skookumchuck. Skookumchuck, Skookumchuck, Skookumchuck....:)

TDAwg: THANKS!!! and, AGREED - love the name!!! :)

DougPaul - I suppose after a storm, the name is appropriate, but, otherwise, it's a bit of an overstatement!!! :) Thanks for the lookup!!!!!

DougPaul - I suppose after a storm, the name is appropriate, but, otherwise, it's a bit of an overstatement!!! :) Thanks for the lookup!!!!!
Well, the trail does follow Skookumchuck Brook for part of the way. Maybe there is a cascade on it (at least in times of high water?).

I first ran across the word Skookum as the name of an Indian's dog in the book "Rolf in the Woods" (1911) by Earnest Thompson Seton. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Thompson_Seton This book and others by Seton are available (free) from the Gutenberg Project: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1088 There is a good bit of woodcraft in a number of Seton's books (Seton was a naturalist and one of the founders of the Boy Scouts)--much of my early knowledge of outdoorsmanship came from reading these books as a kid. Many of you (or your kids) may enjoy reading them.

Doug

Love adventures such as this that are out of the ordinary!
Have whacked to Big Bickford, but for whatever reason, I've not done it as a loop involving Lafayette. Good job!

Hi Doug - yes, the trail *does* follow the brook, and there are a few small cascades, but, in terms of powerful water/whitewater, it's pretty small - perhaps the name is a joke? Maybe a toy boat would get pushed down it? Interesting reference - I will have to look into it!!!

1HappyHiker: THANKS!!!! I'm sorry - I wasn't totally clear in my route - It was mostly an out-and-back with a small unintentional loop :0

Sticks - THANKS!!!!

Last edited:
Hi Doug - yes, the trail *does* follow the brook, and there are a few small cascades, but, in terms of powerful water/whitewater, it's pretty small - perhaps the name is a joke? Maybe a toy boat would get pushed down it? Interesting reference - I will have to look into it!!!
I don't recall any cascades from the time that I hiked it, however the trail doesn't follow the lower part of the brook. IIRC, there is a cascade/water fall on neaby Lafayette Brook.

Did it as a loop--up Skookumchuck, down Greenleaf, and back to the car via the bike path. I found both trails to be enjoyable.

Doug

I don't recall any cascades from the time that I hiked it, however the trail doesn't follow the lower part of the brook.
It used to follow more of the brook before I-93 was built

Of course the cascades it might have been named for could be lower down yet

Yellowstone Park was named for the Yellowstone River which was named for yellow stone at its mouth (since the explorers went upriver), far from the geysers etc.

It used to follow more of the brook before I-93 was built
Yes, I was aware of that. However, I have only hiked it since the trailhead was moved.

Of course the cascades it might have been named for could be lower down yet
The trail also follows a ridge ~.1 mi away from the upper part of the brook--there could be a cascade which is not visible or audible from the trail in this section.

Doug