Lake Colden Lean-To's

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
I was looking at my topo map of the high peaks last night and it does not really have a good decription of where the lean-to's are. How many lean-to's are there over by the interior outpost? Also, are there any that are right on the lake itself? I can remember seeing a picture of a lean-to that was pretty close to the lake but I cannot remember what part of the Lake it was on.

Thanks,
Adam

It has been a long time since my last visit to Lake Colden, but the current ADK High Peaks Region guidebook says the leantos at Beaver Point and Cedar Point still are there. They are lakefront properties and nice places to stay.

If you are coming in from Upper Works, take a left toward the interior ranger station at the trail junction adjacent to the Colden Dam. You will find side trails to the leantos in about 0.1 mile. The ranger station is about another 0.9 mi along the trail, which follows the lake shore. The guidebook indicates there no longer are any leantos in the vicinity of the ranger cabin.

G.

Beaver Point and Cedar Point are still there, nice spots. There's a relatively new lean-to on the trail between Lake Colden and Flowed Lands and another lean-to on the east side of the Colden outlet. I believe that's it for Lake Colden lean-to's these days.

Recommend Beaver Point LeanTo

I stayed two nights at the Beaver Point lean-to last July. I highly recommend it. Here's a pic of the morning view from the lean-to:

1ADAM12 said:
I was looking at my topo map of the high peaks last night and it does not really have a good decription of where the lean-to's are. How many lean-to's are there over by the interior outpost? Also, are there any that are right on the lake itself? I can remember seeing a picture of a lean-to that was pretty close to the lake but I cannot remember what part of the Lake it was on.

Thanks,
Adam

Adam,

Try this: http://www.taxcourt.us/hike/adkmaps.html

kurtq said:
I stayed two nights at the Beaver Point lean-to last July. I highly recommend it. Here's a pic of the morning view from the lean-to:

I've hiked past that lean-to and agree 100%, excelent setting, close to the trail so you may have company. It's a long way from UW with a full pack.