Lake Sebago Beach at Harriman

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Hi All,

Anyone been to this beach? Nice? Gonna go there tomorrow with my family. Hope it's nice. What could be bad, right?

Your experiences? Thanks! :)

Sebago beach is the biggest beach in Harriman State Park.. it's gets pretty crowded in the hot summer time and they have picnic tables, a restroom facility, and of course, a beach on a lake. The boat launch for Sebago Lake is not at the beach but is in a separate parking area not far from the beach. It's also where some of the XC ski trails leave from. I forget if it's before the beach or after the beach as you go west on 7 Lakes Dr but it's marked with a small sign.

I doubt the lifeguards would let you launch from the beach area. It's your basic state park beach, nothing too out of the ordinary.

Oh, BTW:

Google Maps of Sebago beach area

The boat launch is before the beach entrence... Also, it's been known to be closed during really hot days on the weekends due to capacity issues so if it's a nice weekend and hot, you might want to get there early.

...I do know a lot of backcountry swimming spots that are nice in Harriman SP where one can stealth swim since it's not legal according to the PIPC, PM if interested... Wont be a beach but it also wont be packed with people.

Jay

Last edited:
Sebago

I don't think it would be that crowded on a Friday. It's a Great place to paddle, the American Canoe Assoc has it's camp accross from the boat launch
http://www.americancanoe.org/Recreation/camp_sebago.html

Facing the water from the beach, if you follow the shore line on the right side about a 1/3 of a mile you will see a feeder stream if you follow it a short way you come to Lake Shantanka (very nice and remote lake). Have Fun.

Thanks for your replies.

Well, here's my trip report about Lake Sebago.
:mad:

I called this morning to inquire about paddling/boats. You need a permit and it costs $20. Boat rentals are only avaliable on weekends. Fine. I was more interested in swimming at the lake with my family anyway so I left the canoes at home.

The ACA camp is a nice place. I took a class there a few weeks ago but I didn't want to step on toes if I'm not a registered member (yet).

I get to the Lake Sebago booth and I was told that the lake was closed due to water testing. How come this wasn't brought to my attention earlier this morning when I called?

Fine. I went down the road to Lake Welch.
I've never been to a more dirty, disgusting beach in my life. I'm sure there's a lot of nice hiking in Harriman but I'd rather hang out along the Bronx River than chill out on Lake Welch with its 50 feet of life-gaurded, nasty beach front. I knew I should've went to Sunken Meadow.

Anyway...you win some, you loose some. Now I know.

I wish I read your replies earlier. Next time, I'll pay the 20 and paddle to a nice remote place where I can enjoy nature with my wife and kids.

Last edited:
There are many very clean lakes in Harriman with rock approaches that afford nice entry points....and it is illegal to swim in all but the designated swim areas. The common illegal swimming areas are patrolled and tickets are frequently issued at these spots.

IndianChris said:
Thanks for your replies.

Well, here's my trip report about Lake Sebago.
:mad:

I called this morning to inquire about paddling/boats. You need a permit and it costs $20. Boat rentals are only avaliable on weekends. Fine. I was more interested in swimming at the lake with my family anyway so I left the canoes at home.

I get to the Lake Sebago booth and I was told that the lake was closed due to water testing. How come this wasn't brought to my attention earlier this morning when I called?

Fine. I went down the road to Lake Welch.
I've never been to a more dirty, disgusting beach in my life...

Ya gotta love those PIPC managed parks! Sometimes I think they make rules up on the spot just to irk you.

amf

Of course, when you go to Tiorati ranger station, you need to have your boat with you and a PFD...

Jay

IndianChris said:
I get to the Lake Sebago booth and I was told that the lake was closed due to water testing. How come this wasn't brought to my attention earlier this morning when I called? .
i was swimming in lake sebago that day, no one told us the water was iffy? the geese droppings in that lake are really fouling it up, there are beaver and a otter that hang out there. i am up there a lot this time a year , at the aca camp

John H Swanson said:
There are many very clean lakes in Harriman with rock approaches that afford nice entry points....and it is illegal to swim in all but the designated swim areas. The common illegal swimming areas are patrolled and tickets are frequently issued at these spots.

John--i am a hardcore lakebagger and so far have never seen any of my swim spots patrolled. i don't think they have enough rangers to do it. indian chris, PM me off list and i will be happy to share my favorites with you. please do not get turned off to harriman-i am sorry you had a bad experience but my dogs and I have fabulous swims there almost every day in summer in clean, quiet lake settings. either aug 30 or after labor day come up and go swimming with me.
susan

Pine Meadow Lake is patrolled and people are ticketed there. Specifically at the dam/bridge, but also at the peninsula.

One could expect similar enforcement in areas where the ranger can drive a pick-up truck (including woods roads) or if you are visible and within a 10 minute walk of the road.

John H Swanson said:
Pine Meadow Lake is patrolled and people are ticketed there. Specifically at the dam/bridge, but also at the peninsula.

One could expect similar enforcement in areas where the ranger can drive a pick-up truck (including woods roads) or if you are visible and within a 10 minute walk of the road.

true, but rarely during the week. south end island pond, breakneck pond, 3rd res, conklin crossing end of pine meadow, skenonto, north end of turkey hill, baileytown after labor day--and pine meadow peninsula on weekdays have been ranger free for the most part.