Last Minute Out West Hiking Help

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chomp

Reaction score
OK, so VSA and I are flying into Vegas tomorrow night and had planned on hiking in southern Utah next week. However, the weather has turned (it is winter, afterall) and it looks like that might not be the best option. However, my head is spinning with all of the different places that are a reasonable driving distance away.

So, I was thinking about spending a couple of days in Death Valley, then maybe heading down to Joshua Tree for a few days. To keep with the good weather, we could then head over to Tucson, but I have no idea what the options are over that way. Also, the weather in Moab looks like it might be OK, but I don't know if there is a full weeks worth of hiking in there.

So, our plans are totally up in the air. Anyone have and suggestions? Should I stay as far south as possible? Is there cool stuff in Tucson, or should I risk the bad weather for Canyonlands/Glen Canyon? My brain is spinning, so any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Depends on what you are looking for . . . warmer temps? Backpacking? dayhiking? peaks? valleys?

Off the top of my head, in that area, I'd say Zion (probably too cold), Bryce (definitely cold), Havasu Falls, Grand Canyon South Rim(difficult to get permits), Paria River Canyon (pretty easy to still get permits). I did many hikes in that area in both April and in June and loved it. You can also do a number of hikes in Escalante. I am sure you will have fun, no matter what you choose.

If you don't mind the extra drive on your "way" to Tucson, the White Sands National Park in New Mexico will occupy you easily for a day.

Enjoy !!!

sli74

Have you given any thought to the area between Phoenix and Sedona? The temps are looking like 50's during the day and low 30's at night. There may be some snow but the crowds will be down. The closer you get to Phoenix the warmer it will get. Are you looking for backpacking options or car camping & day hiking options? I did a solo car camping trip out that way early last April and found lots of great day hiking options.

Chomp,

If you head toward Tucson, hike the Tanque Verde ridge trail. Out in the open all day after the first 30 minutes.
Went there the day after Christmas and it was great.
Down low, lots of Saguaro and other cackti. They thin out the higher you go. You stay on the ridge and the tall grasses give it the feel of above treeline travel.

PB

Hey Chomp,

I was in the Tucson area last weekend (84 degrees! :) ), Joshua Tree last Thursday, & Death Valley, Zion & Vegas last December.

Joshua Tree has *really* cool rocks on which to play but is somewhat lacking in hiking trails, IMO. There's probably enough there for a couple of days unless you're a rock climber; then you could be occupied for months. Temps were very nice--60s and 70s.

Death Valley was cool to drive through, but I don't know if I'd make it a hiking destination unless you truly enjoy desert hiking... Others with more experience may want to chime in here.

Tucson would be a haul for you, but yes, there's plenty there to keep a hiker occupied. I spent Saturday running the Old Pueblo 50 miler in the Santa Rita Mtns. which are about an hour south of Tucson. Some photos & info here: http://www.ultrazone.us/OP50/
The race was mostly on 4WD Jeep roads & not what I would consider real trail, but the scenery was beautiful--almost like scenes from Kenya, I thought--and there are some high, snow-free mtns. in the area (~9000 ft). The area is experiencing a severe drought: in 50 miles I saw only one stagnant body of water & everything is very dry. We were close to the Mexican border as evidenced by the many border patrol SUVs seen! :eek: The Catalina Mtns. just north of Tucson provide plenty of hiking opportunities, and Saguaro National Park is good for 1/2 day.

Sedona is also a cool place to visit!

I've been to Bryce in March and don't recommend it because there's probably too much snow still. Zion I WOULD recommend this time of year although you may still run into a little bit of snow & ice. Nearby Snow Canyon is worth a day.

My favorite destination in southern Utah, however, is the Escalante National Monument which I'm always yakking about: no crowds, cool rocks & slot canyons, pitch black nights, & SILENCE.

And around Vegas there's Mt. Charleston which has quite a few trails, ditto for Red Rock Canyon, & there are some cool mtn. biking/running trails in Boulder City. Just ask at the local bike shop.

Good luck!

Thanks for the options so far. We are prety much open for whatever. Car camping is cool is the place we are at is very cool (bryce, zion, etc..). I would like to get at least a night or two out on the trails, but I could go for a longer trip as well. Thanks for the help again.

Also, the weather in Moab looks like it might be OK, but I don't know if there is a full weeks worth of hiking in there.
I spent a week in Moab and had plenty to do, but I was with a friend who doesn't hike regularly and we also spent one day rafting on the Colorado and one day on a canyoneering trip with a guide (wonderful). I think there would be enough to fill in a week if you also went to the Maze area of Canyonlands, spent more time in the Needles district, biked, etc. My pictures and trip notes are here if you are interested.

Edited to add another website that I think is useful (maybe you've already seen it): American Southwest

Last edited:
Chomp, if you are thinking about the Sedona area call ahead for conditions. It can pretty varied from dry and chilly to snowy. There is a ton of great hiking in the area. I did a 1500 foot hike up a canyon wall while there and had the rim and wall all to myself. Also did a bit of night hiking that was great. Call the Coconino Ranger district for the latest. If the Mogollon Rim is clear and open there is some fantastic car camping up there.

Just by looking at other's websites & comments, I'd be tempted to visit Death Valley & Telescope peak but you know I'm a summit junky & Telescope is highest in that area. Suspect Charleston just outside Vegas & 12K will have snow also. (Baggage people love crampons in luggage :D )

In Tuscon Area, Mt. Lemmon & Miller are day hikes listed in the 100 (or 50) Hikes in AZ book which I do happen to own. (Give me more notice next time I'll let you borrow it.) Both over 9,000 sky Islands with vegetation that you would normally find around here Vs. Cactus down low. Only Concern on Miller is that is provides a great view into Mexico & is close to the border, you may see some Northbounders.

Have fun

Mike P. said:
Just by looking at other's websites & comments, I'd be tempted to visit Death Valley & Telescope peak but you know I'm a summit junky & Telescope is highest in that area.
Was over there (Telescope) last Sunday and the road has suffered some storm damage, so it would be about 5 mile, 2K' +/- trudge to the TH at Mahagony Flats until the USPS brings in a grader for the road.

Heard a story yesterday on NPR about the drought in AZ - no rain in Phoenix for something like 150 days and snowless mountains for the first time since they've been keeping records. So I'm guessing Sedona and Tucson areas will also be very dry...

The most fun I've had on a mountain was Frenchman Mountain on the east side of Las Vegas. Here's a link to the mountain page:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150987/frenchman-mountain.html

And my Trip Report:

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/170028/summit-ridge-traverse.html

You said the weather has turned... If going to southern Utah, be aware that many of the dirt roads to the trailheads are IMPASSABLE when wet. If rain isn't expected... the Paria Plateau (The Wave) area is simply magical:

http://www.summitpost.org/canyon/151744/the-wave-coyote-buttes.html

If the weather holds and you'd like to explore a "hidden" slot canyon near the Hoover Dam, PM me.

Thanks for the help, everyone! I am off for the airport. I think our plan is going to be to spend 3-4 days in Death Valley. If the weather improves, then we will head over to southern Utah, otherwise, we will make our way down to Tucson. Hopefully we can squeese in Frenchman Mountain as well. I just finished doing some research and there are several cool looking canyon hikes in Death Valley, so that was a pleasant suprise. I'll have photos in a week - and thanks again.

chomp

Just back from a week in Death Valley. Thanks for everyone's suggestions. We hand planned on spending on a couple of days in the park, but we just couldn't leave. Death Valley is unbelievably beautiful and it has everything a hiker could ever want. Double that if you are a rock climber as well. We were amazed by just how much there was to do, and could have easily spent a second week if we had a high-clearance truck. Backpacking is kinda limited unless you like to hike with a gallon of water per day (which I dont), but other than that, its incredible. I'll have photos this week, and a journal next month.