Lazy Day Hike on Franconia 5-24-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bear

Reaction score
Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
Since hearing about three weeks ago that my daughter Kimberly wants to enlist in the Marines and has filled out much the necessary paperwork I have wanted to invite her on a rewarding hike. To me one of the best there is has to be Franconia Ridge and I have found a love for its easy access and multiple loops available. If Kim enlists she may go in as early as the beginning of August. Pride and concern fills our hearts and time together is precious. Our plan to have a memorable Memorial Weekend hike was soon thwarted by Kim’s reaction to a tick bite which thankfully was not Lyme disease. She had just one weekend day available and was not up for it.

Isabelle “Do Truancy” had asked if she could join Kim and I on the ridge hike so the two of us continued with the plans. She has hiked mountains in various countries and western high summits and is much more athletic in nature than yours truly. Additionally, I had plans to hike the Weeks with Sabrina “Unadogger” and Terra the day before. Add a Rocket in the mix on Saturday and lugging out half of Bullwinkle’s crown from South Weeks and I was going to get double days of having my butt kicked.:eek: So I just figured I’d do my best to make Franconia a “lazy day” hike. Being a bit of a bear and only hiking as a weekend warrior has taken a toll on me and I knew the best I could do is get to the top of Lafayette and tend to roll “bear style” downhill south as far as momentum would take me!;)

We spotted my truck at Lincoln Woods and started from Lafayette Place. Only one two-way radio had a charge so there was no chance we were going to split up. The live radio’s NOAA report said clearing through the afternoon as the high pressure came in. Excellent!:D The skies hinted otherwise. The ranger at the bridge said rain showers likely and possible thunderstorms on the ridge later! Soon we found our selves in cool refreshing showers as we climbed the Agonies. The trail was alive with friendly happy hikers even if they had been denied the summit. One young fellow about six, “We had to turn back because you couldn’t see the mountain but it was fun!”

By the time we reached Greenleaf Hut the sun was out and the clouds were breaking up with occasional glimpses of the peaks. We took a nice long snack break and then headed up to find a good size crowd had gathered on the summit. It seemed that most everybody was making a casual day of waiting for the wind to push the clouds of the peak. The winds were probably 30-40mph and mild temps. In March I had hiked the ridge with Sunshine Chris and during our crossing Mt Washington was 70-80mph sustained with temps below 20F the whole time. Some were turning back still but you could see clearing at lower elevations.

This was Isabelle’s second NH4K and I don’t know if she has even started counting yet. Her biggest interest was to hike in some of New England’s varying weather conditions to become more comfortable and experienced. By the time we got to Lincoln ominous storm clouds were coming at us and looked like we could get some pretty interesting variety but they broke up at the ridge. From there on down the ridge conditions only got better and the cool breeze kept me remembering to throw some sunblock on. One big gust took off with Izzy’s hat and a fun Canadian gentleman quickly ran to retrieve it. He even took the time to model how well it looked on him.:cool:

Coming off Lincoln there is an interesting rock I like to call the “Pillar” that stands there defying physics on its rather small base. Being much better conditions than in March I decided to investigate further down on the ledge. Its base is very loose and small for the mass it holds and I quickly retreated lest I go down in infamy for sending it the way of the “Old Man’s” profile. “I swear I never touched it”!:p

The crowds thinned out quickly as we got to Little Haystack and I don’t believe we saw anyone from there on. In the col we found a small amount of snow that was too hard and dirty to build a decent snowman. Past the Liberty Spring Trail there was a more substantial amount but easy to cross. The winds had died down and the late afternoon sun was beginning to cast long shadows out toward the Bonds.

Liberty in some respects is a favorite mountain of mine. Its slanted stacks of granite stand proudly offering you a vantage point out over the whole Pemi and beyond and beautiful views west including Lonesome Lake. By being “down on the corner” of the ridge and at the edge of the Pemi you see things in an immense proportion unlike any of the mountains within the whole. Its long col to Little Haystack and and all Liberty’s neighboring mountains gives you a perspective of a divine natural theater. At this time of day the views east were coming even more alive with shadowing from the setting sun.

As Izzy stood on a far outcrop looking to the Bonds and East out over the majestic panorama I thought about how rewarding this place is and how privileged we live to have such easy access to freedoms and true liberties. Liberty in so many ways memoralizes what freedoms lives have been given for. We are all dwarfed by the entirety and sitting on Sweet Liberty contemplating us as a free nation with undying pride is truly rewarding!
There aren’t enough days in a life to drink in all the beauty the ridge has to offer but I am destined to get my share!

We made some estimations that which ever way we left the ridge we had about six miles to hike. After deciding to go out to Lincoln woods I was anxious and hopeful to reach Flume for a beautiful sunset. My poor eating and exercise habits almost denied me the treat but Isabelle inspired me along and the nagging cramp I keep getting in my side was soon forgotten as we shared a terrific sunset. I winced a bit thinking about not being able to bring Kimberly along this time. In 2006 Liberty was my first NH 4K and my whole family made it to Liberty spring, merely half a mile from the summit before they headed back down. With perseverance I hope to eventually get each of them and any number of other people I can inspire up to this serene place.

The hike out Osseo is one I had never done. Now its been done under a heaven full of stars in excellent company. We chatted the miles away and could tell we were high above a nice brook but will have to return again to see anything we missed out on. Thanks Isabelle for being wonderful and understanding on our first hike together and I hope you had an enjoyable day!:)

Slideshow:http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/572454462LcSbfW

Last edited:
Liberty in some respects is a favorite mountain of mine. Its slanted stacks of granite stand proudly offering you a vantage point out over the whole Pemi and beyond and beautiful views west including Lonesome Lake.

The hike out Osseo is one I had never done.

Dave --

Very nice, touching trip report.

I concur about Liberty -- it's a great peak, in part because of how it looks as you approach it from the west along the ridge trail. The first time I hiked it was in winter and the summit was cloud-socked -- as we approached the summit (from the west), we could barely make out the slanted stacks of granite through the mist...it looked like some sort of massive battleship prow. I fell in love with that peak.

Also, I think that the Osseo Trail is one of the nicest in all of the Whites; the gentle grades are especially welcomed as I get older and my knees get a bit creakier. It's a nice alternative over the slide trail for getting up to Flume. Glad that you got to experience it.

Clay