Lean-Tos in Johns' Brook Valley

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bachand

Reaction score
Approaching from the Garden I know there are two lean-tos on the way into the Lodge. Are there any additional lean-tos closer to the lodge, around the trail to Big Slide?

Marc

There is also one other public one just before the JBL Lodge. It's called the Howard Memorial Lean-to and you will reach shortly after passing the side trail that leads to the Interior Outpost. It sits right on the brook and is pretty much right at the start of Big Slide.
It's a nice lean-to. I stayed there in October of '05 or '06 right after a 2' snowstorm.

There is also one other public one just before the JBL Lodge. It's called the Howard Memorial Lean-to and you will reach shortly after passing the side trail that leads to the Interior Outpost. It sits right on the brook and is pretty much right at the start of Big Slide.
It's a nice lean-to. I stayed there in October of '05 or '06 right after a 2' snowstorm.

Yup! This is a very convenient one if Big Slide is your goal, but don't count on it being available. I've seen it being used probably 75% of the time I've been back there (in winter, I may add). Some other LTs in that general area are the Bushnell Falls Lean to (about 2 miles beyond the Lodge), the Ore Bed Lean to (about 1.5 miles beyond the Lodge), and the Wolf Jaw Lean to (about 1 mile beyond the Lodge). I believe there are two Lean tos at Bushnell Falls, at least I know there used to be. Yet I don't recall seeing the first one when I was out that way Last January. I could have missed it though.

There are two or three lean-tos across Johns Brook. Cross on the bridge to Grace Camp and Peggy O and head upstream a short distance. I don't know about availability or reservations, but every time I have been through there in the winter they were empty.

There are two or three lean-tos across Johns Brook. Cross on the bridge to Grace Camp and Peggy O and head upstream a short distance. I don't know about availability or reservations, but every time I have been through there in the winter they were empty.
Those are the ADK's rental lean-tos

I don't think the ADK has any tent sites on their property. There are tent sites on state land around the Slide Brook trail crossing and a designated campsite up the trail about 5 minutes from JBL on the right (away from Johns Brook)--look for a marker on a tree.

There were several maps that had been on the Internet and show all, or most of them the locations of tent sites and Leantos in the High Peaks. But it seems that the link no longer works. Someone does have the new link or the cards on his computer?