Leather boots -- blisters?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_151

Reaction score
I had a fine hike last weekend of Moriah. However, and old nemesis reared its ugly head. I went light and hiked in my old-style Alpina Mount leathers instead of my Lowa Civetta plastics.

I have a problem with these boots where the heel lever of my BD Switchblade step in crampons starts digging into my heel on the steeps. I have an area about 1" across now on my right heel that's totally devoid of surface skin, and I'm at work with no shoes on.

I wrapped it in gauze, and I'm wondering if I had done this at the beginning of the hike, would it have prevented the blister in the first place?

Does anyone have any tips for prepping their feet for many uphill miles in leather boots with step ins?

Mark

Before I bought the Limmer Standards that I now hike in I had a pair of L.L. Bean Guide boots. They were very stiff, even compared to the Limmer Standard. I had to put moleskin on both of my heels before every hike. Every hike. Wearing polypro liners under heavy smartwool socks also helped.

duct tape, seriously

Skiddah's tip about liner socks is a good one; to me, what socks I wear is as important as the boots.

Judging from the pictures of the Mount boots I saw on the web, I'm a bit surprised that its the heel lever that is causing the blister. Those boots look like they have a pretty well defined lip on the heel for the heel lever to fit into and they appear to be designed to accept step-ins. I would presume that they are stiff enough in the heel area to resist being deformed inward by the pressure of the heel lever. Still, its possible, I suppose.

I would look at a couple of things.

1) Are the step-ins adjust too tight? Personally, I prefer the security of strap-on crampons and don't trust step-ins, which seem to pop off. I've seen folks really torque step-ins down tight in order to make sure they stay on. This approach may work for rigid plastics but may over power your semi-rigid leathers. Another strategy is to adjust the step-ins a bit looser and rely on a safety strap around the heel lever and your boots ankle to keep the crampon in place.

2) It could be the rigid switchbacks are causing your blister problems, regardless of their attachment method. I am more blister prone when I use my hinged SMCs. In general, stiffer soles cause more heel blisters and by attaching the switchblades, you just turned your nicely rockered and semi-bendable boots into metal planks that don't move when you walk. That motion will move to your heel. Double plastic boots mask this problem more because your liner will move inside of the shell, protecting your heel from blisters. In a single leather boot, your heel will take the brunt of it. You may consider going to a flexible crampon for use with your leather boots. Another strategy to keep your boots a bit looser in the heel (search on lacing tips) to allow your heel to move in you boot without being ground into the boot. Personally, without seeing your stuff, I think this is the problem. Rigid crampons cause blisters when you walk.

3) You might try toughening your heels with Ticture of Benzoin (aka Friar's Balsam). I paint my heels with it in the mornings for several weeks before big trips. Really helps toughen the skin. Ask a pharmacist for it.

dave.m said:
Judging from the pictures of the Mount boots I saw on the web, I'm a bit surprised that its the heel lever that is causing the blister. Those boots look like they have a pretty well defined lip on the heel for the heel lever to fit into and they appear to be designed to accept step-ins. I would presume that they are stiff enough in the heel area to resist being deformed inward by the pressure of the heel lever. Still, its possible, I suppose.

I would look at a couple of things.

1) Are the step-ins adjust too tight? Personally, I prefer the security of strap-on crampons and don't trust step-ins, which seem to pop off. I've seen folks really torque step-ins down tight in order to make sure they stay on. This approach may work for rigid plastics but may over power your semi-rigid leathers. Another strategy is to adjust the step-ins a bit looser and rely on a safety strap around the heel lever and your boots ankle to keep the crampon in place.

2) It could be the rigid switchbacks are causing your blister problems, regardless of their attachment method. I am more blister prone when I use my hinged SMCs. In general, stiffer soles cause more heel blisters and by attaching the switchblades, you just turned your nicely rockered and semi-bendable boots into metal planks that don't move when you walk. That motion will move to your heel. Double plastic boots mask this problem more because your liner will move inside of the shell, protecting your heel from blisters. In a single leather boot, your heel will take the brunt of it. You may consider going to a flexible crampon for use with your leather boots. Another strategy to keep your boots a bit looser in the heel (search on lacing tips) to allow your heel to move in you boot without being ground into the boot. Personally, without seeing your stuff, I think this is the problem. Rigid crampons cause blisters when you walk.

3) You might try toughening your heels with Ticture of Benzoin (aka Friar's Balsam). I paint my heels with it in the mornings for several weeks before big trips. Really helps toughen the skin. Ask a pharmacist for it.

Thanks Dave. The pressure point I believe is being caused by the upper part of the lever coming into contact with the area of the boot about an inch past where the sole meets the last.

These boots and I have had a love/hate relationship. I bought them about 5 years ago, and when new, I couldn't walk a mile in them. I actually had the big toenail on my right foot fall off because of an attempt on Flume slide in them one winter. It's only in the last couple of years that they started to become comfortable. Now I feel like I could wear them for a week-long excursion. The crampon issue is the last problem. They're an excellent boot -- I've even climbed a 5.6 in them, albeit a VERY scary 5.6 when edging turned to slab moves!

I think I'll try the moleskin suggestion, and try loosening the crampon a bit too. I made a mistake -- the Switchblades are long gone. I use BD Sabretooths with them, which are also my technical crampon.

Mark

I always tape potential hot spots with whatever tape I have available. Duct tape is ok but can irritate the skin to some degree when removing it. Moleskin also works as well as those advance healing bandaids (Compeed) that you can buy at a pharmacy

daxs said:
I always tape potential hot spots with whatever tape I have available. Duct tape is ok but can irritate the skin to some degree when removing it. Moleskin also works as well as those advance healing bandaids (Compeed) that you can buy at a pharmacy

Hmmmm, this i the second duct tape suggestion. Do I have this right -- you apply it TO the problem area like a bandage? I can honestly say I'd never have thought of that one!

Have you ever gotten the same sort of blister with other leather boots? I have the same problem with my Montrail Moraines, but it isn't the boot that is the problem - it's the big heel spurs on the back of my feet.

Wild said:
Have you ever gotten the same sort of blister with other leather boots? I have the same problem with my Montrail Moraines, but it isn't the boot that is the problem - it's the big heel spurs on the back of my feet.

Nope, but these are the only serious leather boots I've owned. My plastics don't do it, and the leathers don't bother me unless the crampons are on. But I just took a look at them when I got home, and can't feel any type of infiltration inside the boot made by the crampon lever. I'm beginning to think it may be my technique. When I climb steep snow with crampons, I go straight on, amost front-pointing. Perhaps when I do that, it forces the back end of the boot down, so my heel is riding up higher on the inside of the boot and causing the rubbing. Whatever it is, it's not a simple mechanism, at least one that I can plainly see. I think I'm going to give the moleskin idea a try.