Legends of the sport interview

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motabobo

Reaction score
Hi folks, let's say for a second that you have a hiking/climbing legend in front of you. You've been awarded an hour interview, face to face, with somebody you always wanted to talk to, somebody you maybe even idolized...A dream come true...What would you want to know, what kind of questions would you ask that person ?

What an interesting post, so, so many questions come to mind- history- why started, how long hiking, favorite hiking partners etc. Trails- most surprising, most dangerous, most wild rescue, most beautiful. Gear- most important piece of equipment, best boots. I guess I would ask a cliche, but interesting nonetheless, if you could hike/climb but one peak what would it be? Good luck it sounds like a fascinating opportunity.

Not a hiking/climbing legend, but I *did* meet and run with ultra legend Ann Trason a few years ago, and we ended up mostly talking about our dogs, nothing boring like training, nutrition, etc. :D (Ann is one of the best ultrarunners EVER and a really nice person.)

I think if you had the opportunity to have a real conversation with them, you would find that most "legends" are just regular people with a particular special talent. At least that's been my experience.

...I think if you had the opportunity to have a real conversation with them, you would find that most "legends" are just regular people with a particular special talent. At least that's been my experience.

I agree - once on Rainier I met the former host of National Geographic Explorer, Boyd Matson, who was the host from 1995 to 2003. I'd watched him for years on TV. He's just a regular guy who drives his kid to summer camp in VT like lots of other people, does lots of regular stuff we all do, and doesn't require any special favors on a rope team. I also met Aron Rolston coming off Whitney one year - again, regular person.

There's a famous self-help book entitled "If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him". Lots of truth in that title, and the book.

I met John Viehman on the AT back in '95. I think I asked him how the spring was flowing at the next shelter.

"How does it feel to be a legend?"

"How does one become a legend?"

"Did you always want to be a legend?"

"Were your parents legends?"

"Have you ever listened to Bob Marley's Legend album?"

"Are you sick of the word legend yet?"

And, of course,

"What did you eat for breakfast?"

If I knew what made the person "legendary" then I might have more questions.

What are your hopes ?
What are your dreams ?
If you could have 3 wishes......?

Y'know...treat like them anyone else !

@ Messner: "Why did you leave Gunther?"

@ Maestri*: "You and Toni summited in 1959? For real?"

@ Kraus: "How scared were you when you put up the FA of High Exposure?"

*After first administering a dope-slap for putting 400+ bolts on the Compressor Route. :eek: