Lexan Lessons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee, my girlfriend doesn't like to eat or drink from anything aluminum due to toxins... So I guess that leaves both lexan and aluminum out of the picture. I also heard from a good source that the Romans had bad luck with their lead dining and drinking implements, so you might want to toss those out of your light weight gear bags as well! :D

100 years ago, people used mercury (with their hands) to process film, took x-rays without knowing the affects of radiation, smoked hand rolled cigarettes, cooked much of their food in animal fat, insulated their houses with asbestos, and had lead fillings. What were they thinking?

100 years from now, historians are going to say: Back in 2000, people drank diet soda with Aspartame (Nutra-sweet), used aluminum cans, lexan bottles, sat in front of CRT monitors, used cell phones, hair dye, and microwave ovens. What were they thinking?

We humans are still on a scientific learning curve, but fortunately the curve is getting smaller...

Now time for my microwaved lasagne, washed down with a diet coke
:D

Or, as Joe Jackson sings, "Everything -- gives you cancer."

I for one am going to live my life without being in constant fear of something trying to kill me (except other drivers, of course!).

"Goin' down the road feelin' bad,
Ain't gonna be treated this-a-way." :cool:

Just to add to the "plastics" debate, I read that you shouldn't microwave anything in a plastic container because of the toxins that are released during the process.

I too have many nalgene bottles of various ages and various conditions that I have been using for many years. Right now I will keep on using these bottles. Unless of course my friends alert me to changes in my DNA.

daxs said:
Just to add to the "plastics" debate, I read that you shouldn't microwave anything in a plastic container because of the toxins that are released during the process.
Again, a study that pointed to the problems of using single use microwave dishes multiple times was misunderstood by the general press. There is no danger in using microwave-safe plastic containers.

-dave-

Although the logic of the toxins in Nalgene bottles escapes me, I do believe there is some legitimacy to the microwave argument. Not necessarily for plastics deemed "microwave safe" but I believe that there is significant research indicating that the use of Saran wrap to cover food items in the microwave is a bad idea. Whatever... I stopped using it, but up until I stopped, I can't say that I was suffering any ill effects - then again, neither was my wife until she discovered a grapefruit sized cancerous tumor on her kidney. Yes, she's ok now but it was quite an ordeal... And no, she doesn't drink from Nalgene products...

Here are some links with respect to the microwave issue and another about PET plastic bottles:

microwave

PET

There's a lot of info on line, and much of it is of questionable veracity.

Let me sum it up: every substance ever encountered on earth has been studied by scientists who have found that each substance simultaneously causes and cures cancer.

:eek:

cheers,
Ray

I understand the "everything kills you, you cant worry about it all" sentiment - after all, it does seem like every week a new report is released warning us about some potential cancer causing material or activity... and most of them seem to never pan out.

But I would stress skepticism in these cases, not dismissiveness.

Just as there is a history of these seemingly overblown warnings, there is also a history of situations like this flying under the radar when they are in fact a legitimate concern. Does that mean live your life in fear? No of course not, but it also doesn’t mean it is prudent to ignore all of these "warnings" either.

Personally, this particular issue seems like a non-issue to me right now... and I will continue to use my Lexan Nalgene containers. But I'll be keeping an eye on any additional information that might come up.

Jasonst, I love your Twinkie the Kid avatar:D I have a plastic TtK twinkie holder with a hat that flips back to allow you to load a twinkie for safe keeping. At times I've attached it to my pack as a conversation piece. I wonder what the safety message is about eating a steady diet of them all natural morsels:D :D ?

JimB I think you would be fine eating a diet of twinkies as long as you didn't wash it down with a swig of water from your nalgene.:D