Liberty and Flume 2/12/05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpschroder

Reaction score
Pics from this hike can be found by clicking here

After the large snow storm last Thursday I was looking forward to some winter scenery, since last weeks hiking was more like early spring. The day started off with flurries, light winds, and temps in the 20s. At 7:30 MEB, poison_ivy and I headed out on the Whitehouse Trail from the parking lot. MEB and poison_ivy had already voted to have me break trail if no one had beforehand, fortunately the trail had already been broken and we were starting out after a band of five hikers who were planning on ascending the Flume Slide Trail. The band of five hikers plan was to head up to the Franconia Notch Trail and cross the all the way over to Mt Lafayette. Our plan was to head up to Liberty and possibly Flume if time allowed.

Going was slow even though the trail had been broken the day before and when we arrived at the location of the Liberty Spring Trail and Flume Slide Trail broke off the going was a little tougher. We could see that the band of five had gone off to the Flume Slide and we would be widening and re-breaking the Liberty Spring Trail from here. After a hot and sweaty half hour we were passed by two hikers and a dog and the trail got much easier as they widened and packed it down some for us. Thanks!

By 10:30 we were on our way up through the steep sections of the trail and the sun was shining thru the trees. Views of the Kinsmans could be seen thru the trees. Unfortunately, poison_ivy was feeling sick at this point of the hike and with each step was feeling even worse. MEB and I were concerned, but hopeful that we’d reach the tent site soon and with some rest poison_ivy would be feeling better. Soon after around 11:30 a surprise guest Skimom joined us and after a brief rest to welcome Skimom we were back on our way up. At noontime we had made it very close to the tent site and we were passed by another group of two hikers that were planning on going to Flume and then down the Flume Slide. We were then disappointed by the bad news that poison_ivy was feeling to ill to continue and she was going to have to turn around.

We reached the tent site around 12:30 and by then the clouds had rolled in and a light snow had begun to fall. We made it up another steep section after some rest along the way and by 1:00 we were at the trail junction with the Franconia Notch Trail. We took some time to notice that the trail had not been broken on the notch trail toward the north and wondered were the band of five hikers were along there hike. We were soon at the summit of Liberty were it remained mostly rocky with some icy patches, but were greeted with little or no view because of the lightly falling snow. After some brief picture taking we were on our way over to Flume and decided to take a brief rest and lunch break between the the two peaks.

The trail over to Flume was narrow thru the trees and some of the drifts were quite deep with a very narrow broken trail thru the snow, but we arrived at Mt Flume sooner than we had expected. I was glad to get over to Flume so soon and head back since my quads were starting to tire and cramp up on the way over. The snow was coming down much harder now and the views were even more obscured, but luckily the wind didn’t pick up too much speed.

On our way back to Mt Liberty we were passed by the hikers that had decided to take the Flume Slide trail down. They explained that they had broken the trail over to Flume and were trying to break the trail down the Flume Slide, but is was just too tiring and had to turn around and head back down Liberty Spring. The two other hikers and the dog were also forced to turn around and passed us after the summit of Liberty. We also passed a group who were anxious to get started on their descent with some small sleds, much to our envy. We hoped for some fun on our descent of the Liberty Spring Trail without snowshoes, but instead of some fun sliding we ended up post holing more than butt-sliding and had to snowshoe our way down. On the way down the happy sledders passed us quickly and Skimom was left wishing she had a sled to get down sooner since her left knee was really bothering her. By the time we reached the parking lot the snow had stopped and the sky had partially cleared as darkness began to fall. The band of five hikers soon arrived behind us and explained they had lost the trail to the Flume Slide while breaking it and spent the day trying to find the trail again before heading back.

I was a great hike; I only wish poison_ivy was with us the whole way. Thanks MEB, poison_ivy and Skimom for joining in.

Trip facts:

Distance: 10 miles Whitehouse Trail -> Liberty Spring Trail ->anconia Notch Trail and reverse
Trails: Should be in good shape after Sat snowshoes recommended.
Start time 7:30 AM
End time 5:30 PM
Weather: Parking lot was in the 20s with light winds. Summits obscured with snow showers and lighter winds than expected temps in the high teens.

Great trip report, Brian! It was a tough day for me... I really wanted to get to that summit and it was a hard decision to turn around -- especially when we were so close! But it ended up being a good one as I had some sort of stomach bug (and I hope none of you guys catch it!!) I also felt bad for holding everyone up even more than I usually do!

I ended up back at the trail head at 2 p.m. -- I took a short nap and then headed on home. Let's just say the drive home was not fun! :( Fortunately, I'm finally feeling fine today!

I'm glad you guys were able to make it over to Flume too! I promise next time I'll be better company! :)

- Ivy

Glad your feeling better Ivy!

Nice trip report and pictures Brian! It was a great day even though we had no views. Thanks so much to those who broke out the trail ahead of us!

Skimom,

Sorry, your pics didn't come out. Maybe it was the memory card? Supposedly the digital cards are rated for thousands of gs of force. You truly are cursed when it comes to cameras! :eek:

Unfortunately, just as I wanted to take that picture of the sledders my camera battery died!