Liberty Leads the People... and the Dogs, 1-17-10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Feathered Hat

Reaction score
Trails: Liberty Springs w/bushwhack, Franconia Ridge
Mileage: ~8
Time: 5 hours

Folks: (Human) Loanshark, Rob, Colin, James, The Feathered Hat. (Canine) Polly and Tuckerman.

You know how something goes wrong at the beginning of the day and then the whole rest of the day seems to go wrong too? This wasn't one of those days, fortunately. But its beginning was inauspicious: A few miles from the house I realized I had forgotten my camera, so I had to kill some time going back to retrieve it, and then at the trailhead before we got underway Polly wandered off in a direction I didn't notice. It turned out that she didn't go far, but I was worried for a few minutes when I couldn't find her. We had scheduled an 8 a.m. start from The Basin (north) parking lot in the Notch and by the time the delays were dealt with we finally got going around 8:30. By then we were ready to get serious, very serious.

For example, at the first major creek crossing on the lower portion of the Liberty Springs Trail, Loanshark stopped to check Feathered Hat's credit score while Tuckerman sniffed for stock certificates hidden beneath the snow and James wondered if there is in fact gold in them thar hills:
4282073409_0838558a30.jpg

In short order we were all delayering, and then as the climb got steep in the long, arduous, elevation-gaining section below the Liberty Springs tent site we delayered again -- most of us shed even the gloves and Colin was down to a single shirt. Polly and Tuckerman insisted on wearing their fur coats, however:
4282077293_6821713931.jpg

But by the time we reached the top of the ridge, where thick cloud cover had frozen into a powder sugar of rime ice, fur coats didn't seem like such a bad idea. Here, at the junction with the Franconia Ridge Trail, the group discusses shearing Polly just to make things fair:
4282828074_7dd2006215.jpg

As we neared the Mt. Liberty summit, the mood improved even as the temperature dropped, the breeze picked up and the layers went back on. After an extraordinarily beautiful woman passed us by -- in the company of her boyfriend, alas -- Rob and Colin happily agreed to pose for next year's Handsome, Available Young Men of the White Mountains calendar:
4282833284_1e54b696ae.jpg

Meanwhile, I thought Polly and Tuckerman were also calendar-posing amongst the ice, but it turned out they were just worried Rocket21 would show up -- note the *very* concerned expressions:
4282831956_d69cb6bdb2_b.jpg

At the summit, Loanshark looked into the gloom, checking for any Rocket signs -- we had a score to settle with the guy, since he had given us completely bogus directions to a bushwhack. Tuckerman, though, decided he had better things to do than worry about short little snowshoers:
4282837208_f27e469bc3.jpg

And even though Mt. Liberty was Polly's first NH 4K (and Tuckerman's 13th), you can see that they're still very, very worried...
4282838156_69832740dd.jpg

To conclude: As is usual on a Mt. Liberty trip, the climb up took hours and the descent took five minutes. We did find the bushwhack, finally, and I believe both Tuckerman and Polly marked it in their appropriate way. And while we looked every where for her, we never did see La Femme du Liberte', darn it...
t9005-liberty-leading-the-people-eug-ne-delacroix.jpg

A baker's dozen of photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99682097@N00/sets/72157623109762231/

The Feathered Hat
stevebjerklie at yahoo dot com.

Tuckerman's and Polly's report for dogs:

Just enough unfrozen water along the route to keep us happy.

Someone left frozen vomit at the Liberty Springs tent site. Yay! Yum!

Rime ice on rocks is weird to walk over. Watch your step.

Liberty Springs is absolutely the best trail in the Whites for running down.

At the summit, Big Boss Man said, "Congrats, Polly, just 47 to go!" He's right -- we'd both really, really like to chase 47 more chipmunks.

*** Three sniffs (out of four). T-Dog and P-Dog say check it out.

Last edited:
Excellent -- you were cloud-socked on the summit. Liberty's summit looks best when in the clouds, and it resembles the bow of some sort of phantom freighter cutting through the fog.

(I was worried that you would have clear, blue skies at the top...)

Nice CRTJ (Continued Reference to Jeremy), too...I see yours and will raise you on my next trip report.

Nice shot of Salt-n-Pepa on the summit (Tuckerman and Polly, I mean).

Liberty 1/17/10

At the Ashland Booze and Vittles Night Steve and I decided to hike Liberty on Sunday. My son Rob, his friend Colin and my brother in law James met Steve, Tuckerman and Polly at the Basin Parking lot a little past 8 A.M. The dogs jumped out of Steve's car with endless energy. We had to dodge some snowmobiles for a couple of minutes before starting up the trail. The trail is well packed out. The stream crossings are all very easy. We only encountered 2 blowdowns, one with a herd path, the other a walk under. We used snow shoes the entire way. We met up with several groups of hikers all with 12 pt crampons on with ice axes at the ready. Steve and I couldn't understand any advantage they had over snowshoes especially since the trail was packed but with some loose powder. We figured the Sierra Trading Post must have had some post Xmas closeouts. The climb to the summit was a long and steady pull as the trail gains altitude quickly. No switchbacks, just a straight shot to the ridge. After reaching the top the usual photos were taken. Rocket 21 warned me about hiking with the Featered Hat. He told me Steve has this thing about Michael Bolton. I was ready to dismiss this as usual Jeremy nonsense when this great looking young woman came by. All of a sudden I heard Steve belting out when a man loves a woman. The poor girl was so scared she ran off into the fog headed for Mt Flume. All kidding aside, it was a great day with good company.

http://community.webshots.com/album/576375939OGbIGJ?vhost=community

Last edited: