Lightweight boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellow dog

Reaction score
This has probably been answered a lot of times before but I can't seem to find the info by searching.

I've always hiked in heavyweight, leather boots using the same boots for all 4 seasons. They seem to be too much for long distance dayhikes during the summer. Even though they are well broken in they still give me blisters occasionally and feel like they are tough on my feet.

Are there lightweight boots out there that provide enough traction and support, fit comfortably and stand up to the abuse of hiking mostly on trails? The trail shoes I have looked at don't look like much more than sneakers. Any recommendations on a good quality low or mid cut pair of men's shoes? I've seen some decent looking ones at shops around southern Maine like EMS and Kittery Trading Post but I'm skeptical of whether what I'm looking for in a boot exists plus it's tough to spend the money of a new pair of boots and not like them.

I'm going to admit something that will have several chuckling: original Doc Martens (1460 BOOTS).

I have three different types of foot problems (won't bore you) and got turned on to these four years ago. On flatland, they have been the only things I could stay on my feet all day in. And they have been way comfortable.

Last year, I hiked in them (under heavy load, too), and they did their job really well.

So, while hiking is not really their intended purpose, they're pretty light weight and very comfortable.

You can all stop laughing now; I've since gotten my Limmers.

_

Vasque makes some pretty cool shoes that stand up to a lot of abuse. I've bought two pairs of their Catalyst Mids., and used them for anything from spring snowshoeing to light backpacking to fast 20+ mile days in the Adirondacks. The really cool thing about them is that they have incredibly sticky rubber soles. I've been running down wet rocks in the rain without slipping in these.

Check Bean's, and be prepared to spend a couple hours there trying on different pairs and asking the salespeople lots of questions. Besides, you can return them for any (or no) reason if you don't like them! :)

i bought some new ones at north face in freeport maybe three weeks ago. they had quite a few models on clearance there, i paid $50 for some above ankle boots that had a list of $150. i've hiked 5 or 6 times in them and they are very comfortable, plus nice strong sole on the bottom of the shoe. there's always ll bean's in freeport, and they have a few pairs kickin around in the discount store too sometimes.

Lots of good trail runners out there. I switched out of boots, even with a heavy load. Trail runners and hiking poles are the ticket.

Seriously look into the LL Bean dayhiker high tops. They are made by Merrill, stick like glue to rock faces, and are very comfortable and rigid enough for long hikes. I think they call them "mountain treads". I've used mine for years in the Mahoosucs, Baldfaces, etc doing hikes, backpacks, and trail work. They do have goretex, which some folk don't like, but I find my sweaty feet stay very dry in them with smartwool socks. I wouldn't wear anything else unless it was snowing.

While section hiking the AT over the past 5 years, I have been wearing the New Balance Series AT803 up through AT 806 ( I think I have some 807's in the closet - the numbe changes every year) and found they were a great trail shoe. When I moved to the Northeast, I wanted something a bit beefier, but lighter than my Merrell ridgelines, and found Dunham boots - An older bootmaker that is making a revival.

Dunham was bought by New Balance a couple of years ago and are now making some lightweight trail boots. I picked up a pair of Wafflestomper paramounts and have been very happy with them for the past 2 years. Here is link to check out what they offer:
Dunham

>>Are there lightweight boots out there that provide enough traction and support, fit comfortably and stand up to the abuse of hiking mostly on trails?<<

Based on what's on the shelf at EMS, Ragged Moutain, etc. the lightweight hiker (depending upon what you define as a light hiker) may be THE most popular style. There are lots of choices

I have a relatively new pair low cut hikers mfg by Lowa (forget the model name; "sun" something). I'm fairly happy with them as an appoach shoe and for light hiking. Heck... they're so comfy I almost never take them off. They seem fairly rugged and provide good traction. Don't know that I would use them for "serious" backpacking, though, as I need more ankle support than can be provided by a low cut "hiker". For that (backpacking) I use a backpacking boot by Asolo (and have a pair of LaSportiva Makalus for "mountaineering").