Lightweight Stoves

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose_mckenzie

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience using the MSR Superfly or Pocket Rocket?

I would like to hear personal experiences rather than to be sent to a link with a professional gear tester.

Thank you,

Moose McKenzie

moose_mckenzie said:
Does anyone have experience using the MSR Superfly or Pocket Rocket?

I would like to hear personal experiences rather than to be sent to a link with a professional gear tester.

Thank you,

Moose McKenzie
I've used the Pocket Rocket for 3 years of mostly summer backpacking. I've been very pleased with it's reliability, speed and fuel economy. I cook freeze dried food and use the Rocket to boil water (although it does simmer rather well). It generally takes 2-3 minutes to boil 2 cups of water and uses about 1/4 oz. fuel for doing it. I've occasionally used it in sub freezing weather. If you put your canister in your sleeping bag with you, it works OK. If you leave it out in the cold, it has problems getting going. I use the MSR Ti "kettle" (.9 liters) with the stove.

Now I'm looking at a Jetboil (not that there is anything wrong with my current system). It looks just as fast but even more economical with fuel. Besides it's packaging as a complete system looks very good.

Pb

I've had one for a bunch of years. In an informal sidewalk stove test the pocket rocket beat out a trangia, whisperlite and dragonfly even though it proved most susceptible to a performance hit from the wind.

The three prong stand on the rocket is not the most stable and the flame is narrow making the stove not much good for anything more than boiling.

I like the little bugger and it travels with me often but one of my main reasons for it was to have a "cooking" not a boiling stove. Recently I've been looking around for a wider flamed canister stove.

Last edited:
Stoves

Take a look at the Snow Peak Giga Power stove. Grabs the pots/pans better than the comparable MSR ones. Get the one w/ the auto igniter. They offer an even lighter one made out of titanium but it's almost double the cost. Not for cold weather, but great for 3 season use.
Tom