Lincoln Gap/LT winter...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Just curious, I know Lincoln Gap is closed in winter, and it's about 4ish miles to the LT crossing from RT 100, where is the gate/closure and would it be possible to drive to the gate and park there and snowshoe/ski up to the LT crossing?

This is as opposed to the Battell trail approach to Abe, which I believe is a plowed FS road or plowed in winter?

Jay

We parked at the Lincoln Gap road closed sign (which you could drive around, if you dared) back in 2006 and you can see where that was in this image or this image of our GPS track.

Last edited:
The road gets snow machine traffic. I guess you could snowshoe it or ski it, depending on conditions. The Battell trailhead is plowed open.

When we ski the Catamount Trail, we typically park at the end of plowing on the Warren side. No problems here.

However, in the past, lots of people use the Lincoln side of the gap for skiing and sledding, but last year there were no parking signs put up at the end of plowing and I don't think this has been resolved yet. If you plan to park on the west side of Lincoln Gap, check with the town for the update.

Great info guys, thanks! Should be headed there sometime in February, probably from the Rt 100 side just cause it's a shorter drive for me from where I'll be staying....

Jay

For many years I lived on the eastern side, but found that climbing it from west (Lincoln) has shorter approaches. Personally, I like the Jerusalem Trail better than either the LT or Battel Trail, although it can be a little tough to follow the LT once up on the ridge due to heavy snows.

Lincoln Gap

Agree with all previous posters. If you want to go up the LT instead of Jerusalam, from either the east or west, just drive as far as you can and from either, it's anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes walk up the Lincoln Gap road to the LT. From the east it's steeper, but from either side it's a pretty pleasant walk in a very nice wooded setting.
Enjoy!
John