Lincoln's Throat?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahoma

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recent beta on what type of shape Lincoln's Throat is in? Enough ice to cover the crux pitch? I was considering this as the start for a Franconia Ridge traverse on Friday if things hold up [and build over this week without filling the woods too much]

Climbing partners are all busy tomorrow so Im going to bail on the Throat (too bad, it looks to be in good condition).

So Im thinking about doing the full loop [Laf to Flume]. What are peoples preferences on direction? Flume slide is pretty steep at the top so thats nice to ascend and Bridle path is an easy descent but that puts the whole ridge as a climb (gradual however). Any input?

Up bridle puts me on the ridge by sunrise which is a special treat...

The throat is a great route, probably only get fatter anyway. Flume slide is a lot easier to ascend and I would prefer descending Agony ridge after a long hike, then the slide. Sunrise from Flume won't be bad, but you will be going uphill to Lafayette. It's trade offs either way.

Climbing partners are all busy tomorrow so Im going to bail on the Throat (too bad, it looks to be in good condition).

So Im thinking about doing the full loop [Laf to Flume]. What are peoples preferences on direction? Flume slide is pretty steep at the top so thats nice to ascend and Bridle path is an easy descent but that puts the whole ridge as a climb (gradual however). Any input?

Up bridle puts me on the ridge by sunrise which is a special treat...

The preferred direction in winter is Lafayette to Flume. This puts the typical chilly prevailing winds at your back. Depending on conditions (i.e., if there's copious bare ice), the Flume Slide can be technical in a couple of spots, so gear up accordingly. The obvious alternative that avoids Osseo's car spot: double back over Liberty and descend the LST.

Alex

The preferred direction in winter is Lafayette to Flume. This puts the typical chilly prevailing winds at your back. Depending on conditions (i.e., if there's copious bare ice), the Flume Slide can be technical in a couple of spots, so gear up accordingly. The obvious alternative that avoids Osseo's car spot: double back over Liberty and descend the LST.

Alex

Have the traditional loop planned next few weeks and likely will do the "standard" way (Lafayette first). I'm curious what Falling Waters Trail will be like in terms of ice, tricky issues in the lower parts with the low snow totals so far this year. Are there problems with all the crossings? Haven't been on this trail in a few years and I seem to remember one stretch that was awkward enough wet. I'd imagine if it was all ice it could be dangerous. It would suck to run into problems after doing 80% of the loop. Would this area be easier to ascend in icy conditions or would it not matter?

Alex

I decided to do it from the Flume for 2 reasons: ascending Flume slide would be fine, but doubling back from Flume summit to Liberty to descend would be extra time, and the biggest reason that proved to be a winner was I knew I could catch a ride to my car easy enough from Lafayette place. I had a hunch that not many cars would park at Whitehouse. My hunch was correct; 30 cars at Lafayette place when I arrived in the parking area at 215. Caught a ride back farely quickly to ONLY ONE CAR at WH, and that was mine! Glad I didnt do it the reverse route!
Also the forecast was for 5 mph winds and that was also true. It was a gorgeous day up there.

(My apologies to the original poster, who asked about tacking on Liberty and Flume in addition to Lafayette and Lincoln.)

no apologies necessary! All info is good info. In this case your points apply well. I agree on the sun at my back. I enjoy hiking that ridge and looking around too much to be head down!

Have the traditional loop planned next few weeks and likely will do the "standard" way (Lafayette first). I'm curious what Falling Waters Trail will be like in terms of ice, tricky issues in the lower parts with the low snow totals so far this year. Are there problems with all the crossings? Haven't been on this trail in a few years and I seem to remember one stretch that was awkward enough wet. I'd imagine if it was all ice it could be dangerous. It would suck to run into problems after doing 80% of the loop. Would this area be easier to ascend in icy conditions or would it not matter?

Ive only done it in this direction for the other reasons I have mentioned in the above posts. Two of my friends did it Wed and are new to hiking, had only minimal traction and they reported no difficulties on FW. After this rain episode and thaw Im not sure what it will change, but there is colder temps and also snow forecasted following the rain so Im sure it will be decent.
(as a side note, Liberty Trail and Flume Slide had easy water crossings with adequate coverage on fri.)

I did that route Friday. Water crossings on Falling Waters not really a problem. Some ice, Some water. But there is ice thick enough to cross, just have to look for it. I Recommend probing and thumping areas for strength. Some unavoidable short steep iced areas on trail. - Microspikes or better needed. Most people doing this loop Friday came up FW and all said it was easy when I crossed them on the ridge. I wouldn't exactly say easy (at least going down). Snowshoes not needed or even usable on most of the loop. I did the loop clockwise because I started at 3:00 am and figured BP would be easier than FW in the dark. If I had gotten bad reports on FR from CCw hikers I would have tagged Lincoln and gone back.

Last edited:
Also the forecast was for 5 mph winds and that was also true. It was a gorgeous day up there.
It certainly was. We probably crossed each other on the ridge. Most people I have ever seen on a winter weekday. By any chance where you on Lincoln at about 1145; blue pack, ice axe and some kind of red spiked snowshoes?

Tahoma, glad you found a ride back your car easily. Told you I would be poking along! I did look for you when I got down and you weren't there, so I figured you worked it out. (This is Ken.)

1SlowHiker, I think we crossed paths on the ridge where we both bypassed a steep, icy pitch.

Tahoma, glad you found a ride back your car easily. Told you I would be poking along! I did look for you when I got down and you weren't there, so I figured you worked it out. (This is Ken.)

1SlowHiker, I think we crossed paths on the ridge where we both bypassed a steep, icy pitch.

Thanks for thinking of me Dingo! The guys with the dog were heading south so I hopped in with them. Thanks again for your generosity in offering a ride.

It certainly was. We probably crossed each other on the ridge. Most people I have ever seen on a winter weekday. By any chance where you on Lincoln at about 1145; blue pack, ice axe and some kind of red spiked snowshoes?

yes, that was me. I was equally stunned to see so many folks on the ridge mid week. I think I remember seeing you as well. What a day! glad I didnt miss it

At the summit of Lafayette that day:
QUOTE] Dingo: Looks like we both caught Tahoma that day, me on Lincoln you on Lafayette :) I do recall crossing you.
Tahoma: What are those red spiked snowshoes, I assume designed for snow/ice, but I couldn't find anything like them on line. Just curious.

At the summit of Lafayette that day:
QUOTE] Dingo: Looks like we both caught Tahoma that day, me on Lincoln you on Lafayette :) I do recall crossing you.
Tahoma: What are those red spiked snowshoes, I assume designed for snow/ice, but I couldn't find anything like them on line. Just curious.

Those are an ultralight alpine step in snowshoe. They have a tech pin binding system like an AT ski binding that literally connect to the boot in less than 20 seconds. I typically use them for racing or fast and light days in the mtns where deep snow may not be an issue. Excellent race snowshoe as they are exceptionally light and dont require any heel strap (or any strap for that matter) that can hinder natural mobility in the boot. They are excellent performers in up to 10-12" of powder, then they tend to get a little bogged down but they still manage nicely. They have a twisting heel bail as well for climbing steeper grades that works wonders. They do require a special boot with a built in receiver for the pins however so they only work with one pair of boots I own (LLBEAN waterproof insulated winter snowshoe hiker). This setup was purchased at LL Bean about 10 years ago...Im not sure they still offer them or not. I HIGHLY recommend them if you can find them.

#48in48inwinter