Lizards above 4000'

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You shoulda'a known wu_

It obviously was a hatchling from an alligator egg. Or have we all forgotten the old VFFT secret signal? Invented by wu_ no less.

This summer west of the summit of Katahdin Hamlin near the trail intersection, we saw a rabbit (hare?). Cute little thing that just ducked when I was ready to get its photo. That is around 5,000ft. Seems like a harsh place to live.

Dont feel bad, one day I dropped off the Carter range into the Wild river valley. There I was sitting on a log when out in front of me ran a rabbit, he stood 3 ft tall, had ears that were at least 10 inches tall and rear feet that were at least 10 inches long. Nobody including game wardens ever believed me, but I tell you this, I saw it and that rabbit knows it.:eek:

Could it of been a cavy or mara, looks like a large rabbit, and native to South America. There were sightings of them in the Sumter National Forest in SC close to where I live with even a few pictures in the paper. Story is they were released by the owner. Not believed to be breeding though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mara_(mammal)

cool mystery! In mid-October, could there be any juvenile critters, such as weasel/ermine as suspects? Juveniles commonly cause ID confusion.