Lobster Lake,

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

explorer13421

Reaction score
Is there a lake off of the West Branch of the Penobscot River called Lobster Lake? Is there enough water in the river for a motor boat with a 1.5-2.0 foot draft to go from the boat launch off Poulin Road to get to Lobster Lake? Navigable for a motor boat?

It's been a few years, but I've paddled Lobster Stream from the West Branch to the lake a couple of times, and IIRC there was plenty of depth for a small boat.

The water level (and even the direction of the stream) does vary depending on the river level, so a call to a local resource (such as the Seboomook Wilderness Campground) might be your best source of information.

As much as I'd rather see self propelled boats on Lobster Lake and its outlet, I've got to say that, yes, your boat should be able to make it into the lake. There are some beautiful campsites on that lake, too. One near a trailhead to Lobster Mountain which is a worthwhile hike on a nice day with beautiful views of the Lake and of Katahdin. These sites are first come first served.

Here is a link to North Maine Woods which administers the gates and recreational use of land: http://www.northmainewoods.org/