Lone Mountain Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamehiker

Reaction score
I'm a little confused about this one. When I section hiked the AT I climbed up from Orbeton Stream to a distinct summit called Lone Mountain. The elevation was listed at 3200' and from there it was a slight downhill to the Abraham side trail. Topozone shows Lone Mt. as over 3400 feet and south of the AT. So my questions are: 1. Did I actually bag Lone Mt. on the AT?
2. Are there 2 distinct summits called Lone Mt.?
3. If the true summit is indeed south of the AT is it easier to approach from the AT or the Abraham side trail or the Perham stream logging road?
Thanks, Gamehiker

I did the Rangeley to Sugarloaf hike a few years ago, and if i recall correctly, the AT goes right over Lone Mt. But.....it is more a high point of land where the climb up the valley ends at a long flat ridgeline. All completely wooded, zero views. I do not believe there is an actual "peak", but i could be wrong.

The topozone map is from 1984. There has been a substantial relo of the AT since then. It now goes right over the summit (not likely the purist's summit) of Lone Mtn. now. The ATC maps and Maine Gazetteer show it correctly.

The topozone map shows the summit of Lone Mtn. at about 3270.

When you use topozone, you can click the link "Map/Photo Info" at the top left of the page to get the metadata for the map. USGS maps are updated as they see fit, so it's useful to check the date of a map.

spencer

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I wondered what date the map was from. It looks like the AT is further south than it used to be. As for being a purist, I might poke around in the area when I get back there again and look for a high point but its not first on the "list". Gamehiker