Long Island and Westchester/ Rockland Hikes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trainwreck

Reaction score
I am spending Thanksgiving at my in-laws who live in Nassau county. Though I grew up there, I have absolutely no hiking knowledge about the area. I'd appreciate some imput to get me out of that house:eek: Sanity purposes.
I'd go as far as Northern Westchester/putnam/Rockland. Don't really want to do the drive to the catskills, but will if there is good hiking to be had. Views would be good.
Thanks,
Sandy

I don't know about Nassau, but I know a few good Suffolk county hikes.

The best is Mashomack Preserve on Shelter Island. The big blue loop is a nice hike. If you believe Nelson DeMille, Captain Kidd buried his treasure around here.

Montauk has a lot of nice hiking. Ditch Plains to Montauk Point and back on the beach is beautiful. The Walking Dunes and Hither Woods are nice, too.

Connetquot State Park Preserve in Bohemia, although not quite as nice as Mashomack, is my favorite because it is more accessible. Requires a free permit. Plenty of time to write for it before Thanksgiving.

The Otis Pike Wilderness on Fire Island is a big beautiful beach walk.

Blydenburgh County Park and David Weld Preserve in Smithtown are both good walks, the first around a lake, the second through forest and along a rocky north shore beach.

Last edited:
I am spending Thanksgiving at my in-laws who live in Nassau county. Though I grew up there, I have absolutely no hiking knowledge about the area. I'd appreciate some imput to get me out of that house:eek: Sanity purposes.
I'd go as far as Northern Westchester/putnam/Rockland. Don't really want to do the drive to the catskills, but will if there is good hiking to be had. Views would be good.
Thanks,
Sandy

Harriman is a good choice. Another good choice is BreakNeck Ridge located directly outside of Cold Spring, NY. Actually I would choose to do BreakNeck and you have many other options in the general vicinity as well. There is also Anthony's Nose which is located on Rte 6 I believe over the Bear Mountain Bridge. It's accessible at the old historic toll plaza located (from your direction) on the left side of the road a few miles after crossing over the bridge.

There's also good hiking to be had at Ward Pound Ridge Reservation in Pound Ridge, Westchester Co. that may be a shorter trip for you.

Be careful on Breakneck Ridge is it's either cold or wet (as it's a scramble to get up). It's also pretty crowded on nicer weekends.

Anthony's Nose can also be accessed from the parking spots on 9D (if you go across the Bear Mtn Bridge and make a left to go North instead of south, you get to 9D, if you go south, you're on Rt 6). There is somewhat an informal scramble up the "chin" if I may call it that, to get to Anthony's Nose. Look for the big fence that "protects" the bridge cables and stuff and just follow the well trodden path that is somewhat marked in orange. You can sort of do a loop by going north after the summit and then down the AT which goes by the area. This is a short loop though, you could do this probably 3 times in an easy day. But, you could walk across the Bear mtn Bridge and follow the AT, go through the Zoo and maybe do something fairly short in Bear Mtn State park too.

Nov 15th is rifle season in upstate NY, so I don't know what L.I. is if there is hunting allowed at all, but you might want to check that....

there is NO hunting allowed in Harriman or Bear Mtn. However, there is hunting in Sterling Forest (south and west of Harriman) and some places actually close (Black Rock State Forest) during hunting season...

Jay

Last edited:
Coming from the Island, there is Teatown Reservation and Fahnestock right on the Taconic... Parts of the AT are easily accessible as well. There is Sprin Brook park as well in Yonkers right off the Sprain Parkway.

There are plenty of options too if you look up Westchester County's website, including as someone mentioned, Ward Pound, FDR State Park, etc.

Plenty of hiking right off the main roads to maximize your hiking time.

Enjoy!

Another good Long Island trail is the Nassau-Suffolk Greenbelt from Cold Spring Harbor to Massapequa Park (20 miles). I usually do an out and back from the Cold Spring Harbor trail head (in the parking lot across from the harbor) to the 3rd road, which is Stillwell. That's 5 miles with 1000' of elevation gain. I've also done it to Jericho tpke and back, both ways, 10 miles or if you have 2 cars it's a nice thru hike.

I'm probably going to do it this Sunday if you're interested.

Kevin

Thanks for you help.
I'm almost embarrassed to admit I lived in LI for 20yrs and I have NEVER been to Bear Mtn, or Harriman state parks!I have only been to Fire Island once, and I barely remember it (mid 20's, party:rolleyes:)

I'm leaning towards either Fire Island (Otis) and may backpack in for Friday nite, or Bear Mt. I rally would like to avoid anyone with a firearm.

Does anyone know where there might be a view on the Manhattan Skyline?? I've read about it on 'trailjournals' but don't know the location.
Thanks
Sandy

To name just a few off the top of my head, in Harriman S.P. you have Pyngyp summit and Big Hill (by the Lean to on the Long Path). Two spots with views of the Manhatten skyline.

If you have the NYNJTC maps of Harriman State Park, these would be the northern half. You might be able to get info from the internet, since Big Hill is part of the Long Path...

http://www.nynjtc.org/store/nonmember/itm00010.htm

Jay

Hook Mountain - cross the Tappan Zee bridge, head north on Broadway through Nyack (grab eats at the Runcible Spoon), and park at Nyack Beach STate Park. There are options for hiking or biking along the river or heading up to the top of the hook. I spent my deformative years there :)

enjoy - you've got lots of GREAT suggestions here.

Harriman is good for some easy up and down. North Face held its 2008 NE Endurance Challenge there in April with a 50 mile race and 3 other distances. There had been a map (with the route drawn on it) of Harriman on the NF website, but I have not been able to find it - probably scrubbed due to age of past event. I can eMail a pdf copy to you if you PM. However, it is from the NY-NJ Trail organization whose email is listed above, and a 'clean' copy is probably better.