Long Lake Paddle

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Are we allowed to talk about paddling here?
Anyone paddle Long Lake before? Thinking about paddling from the village to as far north as I can make it in a day (not down the Raquette though). Are the islands camp-able? Your past experiences are appreciated.
Thanks!

I started a trip there last summer and then continued down the Raquette. We put in at the boat ramp where 30 crosses the lake and then paddled and sailed to the end. If I recall we got a late start, the sailing was pretty slow but we were enjoying the day, and we made it to camp at a decent time. It doesn't seem like there was camping on the islands, but there were plenty of spots to be had at the end, lean tos and some beach sites I think. The Adirondack Canoe Map shows the campsites.

Several lean-to's along the East side of Long Lake, which is mostly State land I believe. Watch the wind while paddling north, it may be blowing in your face on the return and slow you down quite a bit.

Thanks all.
I was wondering 'bout that, rdl. I'll have to stay near the shore if that be the case.
Cantdog - where is paddle park? I looked in my cp - nothing.

Chris... Darren also tells how to do it on the Site Help heading of the forums..
Happy Paddling.
spdr

Are you asking about now or next summer? I came down the Raquette and by the time I got to the bridge I'd had enough of motorboats and civilization and quit! I personally would hunt up a less-developed lake (or even better, a river :) for a paddle trip.

Roy - I'm asking about now. Still a lot of traffic? What's the wind like?...could be tough at times, I gather.

Last edited:
When I did it a few years ago, We kept near the west shore, Most of the time the wind is coming out of it, It was easy going both ways.You can easly get to the other end in one day, There are leantus at the other end.

IndianChris said:
Roy - I'm asking about now. Still a lot of traffic? What's the wind like?...could be tough at times, I gather.
I'm sure things are much quieter now. As you say, wind can be highly variable - if forecast is high winds you might plan a more sheltered trip.

You should be able to paddle from Long Lake village to the north end of Long Lake in a half day (or less). I’ve made the trip several times (years ago, admittedly) and always camped at one of the leanto sites a mile or so down the Raquette River, or (preferably) up the Cold River at Calkins Creek.

I recommend the Cold River – Calkins Creek option, which takes you into remote, wild country.

Prevailing winds will be at your back northbound, and riding the swells as the lake shallows near its outlet can be a lot of fun. The Raquette’s current is modest down to the Cold River. Paddling upstream on both the Cold River (to Calkins Creek) and Raquette is quite doable. The southbound trip homeward (on an out-and-back venture) is more taxing.

This is a pretty iffy time of the year to be doing this, I would think, because of potential for winter weather conditions to develop.

G.

Grumpy said:
You should be able to paddle from Long Lake village to the north end of Long Lake in a half day (or less). I’ve made the trip several times (years ago, admittedly) and always camped at one of the leanto sites a mile or so down the Raquette River, or (preferably) up the Cold River at Calkins Creek.

I recommend the Cold River – Calkins Creek option, which takes you into remote, wild country.

Prevailing winds will be at your back northbound, and riding the swells as the lake shallows near its outlet can be a lot of fun. The Raquette’s current is modest down to the Cold River. Paddling upstream on both the Cold River (to Calkins Creek) and Raquette is quite doable. The southbound trip homeward (on an out-and-back venture) is more taxing.

This is a pretty iffy time of the year to be doing this, I would think, because of potential for winter weather conditions to develop.

G.
G pretty well hit it for you. I've paddled the of the lake many times in only a couple of hours during the 90 Miler, twice that long (half a day) at a much more leisurely pace. The NLPT is on the eastern shore, with plenty of places to stop and camp, or bail out along the trail if necessary. Not until you get very near the north end of the lake do you reach public land on the western side. It is a very different and wonderful world once you enter the slow current river. It's all very fun, but if you expect to return by the same route you must be prepared for headwinds and waves and the subsequent delays.