Long Path north of Windham (Route 23).

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frytz

Reaction score
I am only missing the 100 miles or so of the LP north of Windham to complete the whole trail. But since it is a 2 or more hour drive each way, I'd like to get an idea of the condition of the trail in the sections north of Windham.
If anyone has hiked any of these sections recently, or plans to do them in the near future, I would greatly appreciate any feedback on conditions - blazing, or lack thereof, overgrown path or other difficulties following the path, more than the usual blowdowns, very difficult water crossings, parking no longer available, etc.
Since I will be leading others at times, I would rather concentrate group efforts on reasonably good sections. Then, maybe the bad sections will cleaned up later, or I can allow much longer times for shorter distances, and I can warn any who come along what they may be getting themselves into!

Thanks in advance!

Happy hiking!

Fred

Be aware that the Long Path crosses private property in some places and these sections are generally closed during deer hunting season.

In general, the Long Path sees little use north of the Catskills except for a few highlights (Mine Kill Park, Vromans Nose, Middleburg cliffs, Roemers high point, etc.), but is usually marked fairly well. There is also quite a bit of road sections.

In June and July I worked with a group that did trail maintenance from Jenn Notch Rd. (about a mile north of Rt. 23) to County Rt. 10. It was cleared of blowdowns.
Although the most recent Long Path guidebook lists the bulk of that section as private land that's closed in deer season, that's no longer true. It's state land now.

i did the long path northern excursion a few years ago from gilboa to altamont (section 27-34) to get the patch and certificate (see my avatar for patch) and it was all done during november and december (deer season), i saw a few hunters (and i even came across a few "gut piles")...

Last edited: