Long Trail, 100 Mile Wilderness and other 2004 plans

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
My Goals and Plans for 2004

I thought I'd take this New Year's day to give voice to what I hope to do this new year. Please feel free to make comments, critiques and most importantly, let me know if you'd like to team up on some of these plans. A partner (or two) would be especially welcome on the long back-packs.

I hope others on this list will do likewise and let us know what plans you have and what excitement is coming up. I think it makes sense for everyone to start a separate thread for their own plans, and to contribute to other's threads with comments, etc.on that person's plans. That my help everyone sort out who is doing what.

Alas, I will be doing little in the realm of winter hiking or climbing. I'm currently training for a marathon (in Burlington, Vermont on May 30th) and my winter hikes will be catch as catch can. So now I'm in running mode but starting in June, I expect to be back full time into hiking.

General Goals:

1) Make major progress in completing the New England Hundred Highest and Fifty Finest and in particular finish all HH and FF in Vermont and Maine, leaving only a remnant in New Hampshire for "cleanup" in 2005.

2) Finish the Long Trail.

3) Finish the northern half of the Appalachian Trail (Harpers Ferry to Katahdin) with a 100 mile section in Pennsylvania and the last 120 miles in Maine (Monson to K).

Specific Plans (major treks):

June: Climb 3 or 4 of the Cascade volcanoes (Broken Top and the 3 Sisters) in Oregon with my daughter.

July: Pemi Traverse: Greenleaf Hut -> Lafayette -> Owl's Head -> Bondcliff -> other Bonds -> Zealand Falls Hut

August: Long Trail in Vermont from Route 4 to Canada bagging all HH and FF on the way.

September: AT from Monson to Katahdin (100 mile wilderness) bagging all HH and FF on the way, then 2 or 3 more days in BSP for peak bagging

October: AT from Duncannon, PA to the Delaware Water Gap

Details follow ...

Last edited:
Pemi Traverse (3 days including 2 nights in huts) - July

This idea arose from a note that Roy Schweiker posted involving trekking from the Franconia Ridge, over Owl's head and up to the Bonds, involving 3 bushwhacks.

My idea is as follows:

Use Greenleaf Hut as the starting point and Zealkand Falls Hut as ending.
Do it in July, hopefully after the bugs have subsided to gain maximum daylight (June too buggy).
I will tag on a day or so before and after for my own peak bagging.

The Day Before:

Get an early start, hike up Cannon and the Cannon Balls, come down to Lafayette Place in Francoinia Notch and get to Greenleaf Hut (OBP probably) for supper. If you want to join me for the Big Day, just get to the hut by 5:00.

The Big Day:

6:00 AM start at Greenleaf Hut
7:00 AM summit Lafayette
7:30 AM start down Lincoln Slide
8:30 AM reach Lincoln Brook Trail
9:00 AM reach bottom of Owl's Head Slide

times get approximate from here on

10:00 - 10:30 summit Owl's Head
10:30 - 11:00 start bushwhack down east side of OH
12:00 - 12:30 reach Franconia Brook Trail

12:30 - 1:00 Start bushwhack up Bondcliff west ridge
3:00 - 4:00 summit Bondcliff

3:00 - 4:00 Bondcliif Trail over Bond to the Twinway (Guyote) and thence to Zealland Falls Hut
(do West Bond and Zealand if time and light allows)
6:00 - 7:00 arrive Zealand Falls Hut

The Day After

AM Hike out via Hale
PM Peak above the Nubble (a glutton for punishment)

So if you like long days and lots of brush in the face, join me!
Suggestions?

Last edited:
Long Trail: Route 4 to Canada - August.

I did the southern section of the Long Trail in 2002 when I did the AT from New Jersey to western Maine. I have also done all the HH and FF in Vermont south of Route 4 (i.e. Pico, Killington, Mendon, Dorset, Equinox, Stratton, Grass and Ascutney). In this summer's trip I'd like to finish the LT and bag all the HH and FF peaks along the way.

I would like to do this in August when the bugs are gone and the mud is dry, but hopefully the springs are still flowing.

I tend to backpack 12 - 15 miles a day with occasional longer days. The Long Trail distance is about 170 miles so I estimate this will be 12 - 14 days of hiking. I would plan one mail drop about half way (maybe 2 if I work out the logistics). The LT includes these peaks from the lists: Wilson, Breadloaf, Ellen, Abraham, Camel's Hump, Mansfield and Big Jay.

If we have the energy and logistic support we could then bag Worcester, East, Cold Hollow, Signal and Gore (all from the FF list).

Dates and details still in the thinking stage.

Interested in joining me? Any suggestions?

Pb

Last edited:
Appalachian Trail from Monson to Katahdin (100 Mile Wilderness) with peak bagging before and after - September

Except for part of Pennsylvania, I have finished the AT from Harpers Ferry to Monson Maine. I plan to finish the Maine section in September of this year and get in lots of peak bagging along the way. This is the section knows as the "100 Mile Wilderness", which is primarily timber country with no towns for 100 mile, and only private logging roads. September should be the best weather-wise and the streams should be low for easy fording. This will also be prime thru-hiker season so there will be lots of company.

Before - peakbagging near Monson

Use Shaw's in Monson as a base and bag nearby peaks: Moxie, Big Squaw and Baker.

The 100 Mile Wilderness

The trail distance is about 120 miles and I will also do the interesting side trails, notably Gulf Hagas. White Cap (FF) is on the AT. I will probably use White House Landing as a mail drop and possibly stay overnight there. If you always wanted to hike the 100 Mile Wilderness, here's your chance. We will be eligible to camp at the Birches in BSP without reservations the night before we summit Katahdin.

After - Baxter State Park

Since the exact timing is unknown at this point I can't make a reservation with BSP. I'm hoping mid-week post-Labor day reservations will be available, but as a last resort we could stay at a cheap motel or campground out of the park. Peaks: Baxter (again), Hamlin, do the Knife Edge (we could skip this and do Hamlin when I finish the AT if time is short). 4 "Brothers" (So. Brother, No. Brother, Coe, Fort) in a day (maybe). Doubletop and The Traveler.

I would really think we could get a good sized group to do Baxter in September. With enough hikers we could break up into smaller groups and some could do more or less stuff. Who knows, maybe someone will decide to bushwhack to East Turner from South Turner :).

Anyone wanna come? 100 MW, BSP or both? Sign up here, this is definitely gonna happen!

Pb

Last edited:
Appalachian Trail from Duncannon, PA to the Delaware Water Gap - October

I wasn't going to post this at first by what the hey, why not?

Anyone want to join me for a 100 mile rock hop :) across northern Pennsylvania in October? Foliage should be near peak. If you are into AT section hiking, this may be the time to tackle this rough-under-foot section.

Pb

Last edited:
Pb:
I'm still interested in the Pemi traverse, and both relieved and disappointed that it's not gonna be a 20 mile day trip. But stay in a hut? Yuck! Maybe we can arrange to meet at the summit of Lafayette. Keep me posted.

PS: Been a while since I've been in that neck of the woods, but as I remember, the black flies will still be significantly present in July. Big ones! They can chew through nylon netting! When you're hiking you have to peel them off when you squish them against your skin or the added weight will slow you down.

stopher said:
Pb:
I'm still interested in the Pemi traverse, and both relieved and disappointed that it's not gonna be a 20 mile day trip. But stay in a hut? Yuck! Maybe we can arrange to meet at the summit of Lafayette. Keep me posted.
Stopher

No problem, you can avoid the huts AND make it a 20 mile day. Just join me at Greenleaf at 6:00 AM or on Lafe at 7:00 and were off together (so you can start by adding about 3 miles from the Notch). Then from Bondcliff I'm off to Zealand Falls Hut and I'll say goodby on the Bondcliff trail (if you head out south to the Kanc) or maybe at Zealand Hut (if you head out north to Route 3) and so with another extra 2 or 3 miles or so, its out you go back to your car. :) That should get you close to 20 miles. Oops, where did I leave my car?

Or better still, and more seriously, camp at Liberty Springs night #1 and Guyote on night #2 and your milage is back down but your pack weight is up. ... Whatever ...

Pb

Hundred Mile Wilderness

I hope you have a great trip there in the 100 Mile Wilderness. Since I did the bulk of it and took many notes and pictures and my group completed north to south from Katahdin to Monson, if you have any questions feel free to ask. This is a lovely region that offers alot. I spent much time planning and the trip went well and I am sure with your hiking experience you will enjoy. The only caution I offer is that being the long distance hiker that you are, make sure you take time to savor the beauty of the northern lakes and not get caught up in the rush to get to Katahdin and zoom by them.

Another item: when exploring the peaks of Baxter State Park - if you have a newbie in your group, they must experience a night at Chimney Pond (make your reservation ASAP). Maybe do a Knife Edge - Saddle - Hamlin Peak Circular from there. Just for fun include the Pamola Caves. Or when completing the AT continue over the Knife Edge to Pamola (visit the caves on the descent) and descend to Chimney Pond for a night. Here is an interesting option. Davis Pond is a campsite I have always wanted to go to. Maybe as remote as any in the northeast. From Chimney Pond hike over Hamlin Peak to Davis Pond & Lake Cowles. At Davis Pond is an authorized backcountry campsite. I think you could see this campsite from North Brother and it is on my must do hikes. See photo (credit to Twigeater). Then for a challenge bushwack the eastside of Fort and then go over North Brother, South Brother & Coe before coming down the Marston Trail back to the Baxter tote road. That is a Baxter backpack that would excite me. Give this one a good look and let me know your thoughts. I imagine Fort's east side would be an interesting challenge. Has anyone on this board ever done Fort from the Northwest Basin? I wonder what it is like?

Lastly, for my photo log and hike reports of my 2002 trip to Baxter and 2003 Hundred Mile Wilderness journey see: Alpine Zone. Scroll down and work your way up from August 29, 2003. Then go to the same site and continue scrolling down for my Baxter Park hike reports from 2002. ENJOY!

Last edited:
I'm planning on doing a thru-hike of the Long Trail in late July/early August (allowing 3 weeks).

In June, I'm planning to do a warm-up hike on the AT from Norwich to the intersection with the Long Trail.

Once done with both hikes, I will have backpacked the AT from Baxter State Park to the Mass border. In September, I will start working on Massachusetts. I'd also like to finish my NH 48, as I have 6 peaks to go.

In the meantime, I am hoping to do some more winter backpacking - but first, I am off to Xian in the morning to visit my son who is studying Chinese there, see a play he is directing (12th night, with the final show on 12th night), celebrate his 16th birthday, bring him home and hopefully find some good hiking while I am there.

Papa Bear said:
Long Trail: Route 4 to Canada - August.

I did the southern section of the Long Trail in 2002 when I did the AT from New Jersey to western Maine.

I would like to do this in August when the bugs are gone and the mud is dry, but hopefully the springs are still flowing.

I tend to backpack 12 - 15 miles a day with occasional longer days. The Long Trail distance is about 170 miles so I estimate this will be 12 - 14 days of hiking. I would plan one mail drop about half way (maybe 2 if I work out the logistics). The LT includes these peaks from the lists: Wilson, Breadloaf, Ellen, Abraham, Camel's Hump, Mansfield and Big Jay.

Pb

I did the northern LT this year. The LT north of Rt. 4 is MUCH harder than the LT south of Rt. 4. If you can do 12-15 mile days on the southern LT, I'd plan on 9-12 mile days on the northern part, though sometimes your distance is dictated by the shelter spacing. The trail goes straight up and straight down on rock ledges that will often have you looking for handholds. You can do 15 mile days, but you'll hate them. To enjoy the trail, allow enough time. There are easy resupplies in Bristol (hitch out from Lincoln Gap or App Gap), Jonesville (on trail PO), and Johnson. We ended up taking some short days due to bad weather (those ledges are slippery in the rain). We had 14 days and only completed Canada to Lincoln Gap.

Well, this much is certain about our '04 hiking plans ... we have reservations for the leantos at Baxter Park's Little Wassataquoik Lake and Davis Pond in mid-August. A short backpack of the Baldface loop is a probable and we've never hiked Chocurua. I also expect to climb something comparable to a couple 4K's while working the ladders on this summer's exterior painting project. And, a couple of kayak paddles each season has become a tradition.

Askus3 has good detailed reports with mileages (road and trail), elevations and highlights to help plan a 100 mile wilderness trip. Much of it was engaged as a series of day hikes or short overnights but it is a useful for planning whatever the backpacking strategy.

Hey ... why am I talking next summer ... winter has just started!