Long Trail: Lincoln Gap to Appalachian Gap

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody

Reaction score
I plan to take a couple of days between Christmas and New Year's to hike the Long Trail from Lincoln Gap to Appalachian Gap. The plan is to camp/bivy somewhere between Mount Abraham and Mount Ellen.

I read a trip report by blacknblue that the Lincoln Gap road was closed about 1 1/4 miles east of the summer trailhead. I was planning for this road closure to be even longer, so this report is appreciated.

I have a few questions for those of you that have done this section of the LT in the winter.

1. Can the entire distance be easily skied (with backcountry cross country skis and skins).

2. Can a sled be used easily across this entire stretch of trail?

3. Any suggestions for camping so I don't have to bring a tent? The Battell Shelter is too close to the start and the Glen Ellen Lodge may be more than my hiking partner will be willing to do in one day.

I have been planning on snowshoeing the entire trip but if the trail is easily skiable by a mediocre skier, I think it would be fun to ski. I may even consider going down one of the ski trails at Mad River Glen instead of staying on the LT if skiing across the ridge is an option.

Woody

Hi Woody48,
IMHO this section is more suited to just showshoes. Much of the trail in this section is twisty and narrow, and if packed out it's a single track trough. Bringing skis might be worthwhile if you want to ski down Mad River trails, but I'd think you'll end up carrying them more often than using them on the LT itself. The section north of Starks Nest at MRG would be a bit suicidal to ski unless you're a really good tele skier and want to go through the woods. Several substantial and usually icy rock steps in the northern section, some with ladders. I've done this section as a winter day hike and I can't imagine that anybody on skies could do the whole section faster than a good snowshoer. It would surely be exciting to try, though. Even pulling a sled, I think, would be more hassle than it's worth. So, I'd recommend just showshoing the thing, stay at Glen Ellen Lodge if needed. If you decide to tent, there are some nice and fairly protected spots in the woods within a half hour either side of Mt Ellen, though you'll have to melt snow for water. Also, the warming shack at the top of Castlerock lift is usually open (the door, that is) so you maybe could spend the night in there, it's about halfway between Lincoln Peak and Mt Ellen.
The Monroe Skyline is a really nice section. Easy to lose going north from Ellen so watch carefully for the white blazes which, of course, are covered with snow...
Enjoy,
John

Hi Woody48,
IMHO this section is more suited to just showshoes. Much of the trail in this section is twisty and narrow, and if packed out it's a single track trough. Bringing skis might be worthwhile if you want to ski down Mad River trails, but I'd think you'll end up carrying them more often than using them on the LT itself. The section north of Starks Nest at MRG would be a bit suicidal to ski unless you're a really good tele skier and want to go through the woods. Several substantial and usually icy rock steps in the northern section, some with ladders. I've done this section as a winter day hike and I can't imagine that anybody on skies could do the whole section faster than a good snowshoer. It would surely be exciting to try, though. Even pulling a sled, I think, would be more hassle than it's worth. So, I'd recommend just showshoing the thing, stay at Glen Ellen Lodge if needed. If you decide to tent, there are some nice and fairly protected spots in the woods within a half hour either side of Mt Ellen, though you'll have to melt snow for water. Also, the warming shack at the top of Castlerock lift is usually open (the door, that is) so you maybe could spend the night in there, it's about halfway between Lincoln Peak and Mt Ellen.
The Monroe Skyline is a really nice section. Easy to lose going north from Ellen so watch carefully for the white blazes which, of course, are covered with snow...
Enjoy,
John

I second John's comments. Just take snowshoes, and leave the sled home.

Third.

The ridgetop part does get a certain amount of play as a backcountry ski tour, but the couple of miles from General Stark down to App Gap would just be murder. I wouldn't really want to lug a sled on that, either, whether on snowshoes or skis.

I figured that this part of the LT would be a snowshoe backpack, but I thought I might as well ask this group just to be sure.
I finally found my copy of the Long Trail Guide and Snoshoovt confirms the description in the guide. It's good to check the reference book, but I also like to get more personal reviews as well. I appreciate the beta from each of you.
Now I just have to keep my backpack light!:rolleyes:

Woody

We skied most of this route with light-weight x-c ski gear in the early 90s; lost one skin somewhere around Ellen despite much digging around in search of it. Televators really helped on the steep uphill out of Appalachian Gap. The trail had been reasonably well brushed back when we did our trip, but I could see where the route might be much more difficult on x-c skis if not recently brushed. Overall, a classic x-c ski traverse, which had been on my to do list for a long time. Around that same time, we also x-c skied the northern end of the Twins-Bonds traverse, bailing at Guyot out over Zealand because friend blew out his knee. Again, televators on the heels were indispensable on the upper part of the North Twin Trail. I would rank these two routes, at least the parts that I completed, about equal in difficulty on x-c skis. I think that skins are essential not only for the uphills, but also for braking on the down hills. I would not recommend sleds on any of these types of routes, nor would I recommend anything but a light daypack for a one-day push. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited: