Looking for dog friendly hikes near Corning Ny

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobmak

Reaction score
I hardly ever venture into New York state, other than the big city itself, so I am looking for some advice on recreation. I will find myself in Corning for nine days in the beginning of August, during which I'll have a stretch of at at least 3-4 free days. I would like to use that period spending quality time with my canine traveling companion. I'd love to find a spot where we can either car camp and hike and/or backpack, somewhere close by, say within a 3 or less hour drive of Corning. Any recommendations? Areas with lots of water (streams, ponds, etc) are a big plus as the pooch loves to swim. Thanks!

Wow -
Let See - in NY (Corning is on the Southern NY Border with PA)
There is the Finger Lakes Trail (FLT) - Both the Main trunk and the Bristol Hills Branch (BHB)- There are a multitude of places with streams and falls. You can usually get the page maps for the area near you at EMS.

In PA there is within a 2 hour Drive:
The West Rim Trail (WRT) (Pine Creek - PA's Grand Canyon)
The WRT is high above on the rim of the canon for the most part.
The Pine Creek bike path is down below, in the canyon and runs for at least 40 miles with very few road crossings (none for the first 20 some miles) with several areas to camp along Pine Creek
The Black Forest Trail (BFT) - Beautiful Vistas and very secluded primitive campsites along stream junctions.
The Susquehannock Trail (STS)- Follows old logging and tote roads as well as old Shay locomotive Rail paths - camping next to secluded streams.
Many more roads crossings and loops with other trails make the Black forest and the STS great and easy 2-3 day loop trails.
Old Loggers Path (OLP)- Very secluded 23 mile loop (or two smaller loops via road crossings) make this a great 2-3 day circuit hike as well.

These are all easily within 2 hours of Corning. Our cottage is in Hammondsport - about 20 mins from Corning, so I do get to spend a lot of time up there, unfortunately with 2 young kids, I get very little outdoor time lately.

OK Info - Check with Chuck Dillon at Pine Creek Outfitters in Ansonia (Rte 6 PA) He has written several trail guides for many trails up there and shuttle folks to trail-heads.
Also, I have taken my Brittany with me on the BFT, OLP and STS with no issues. There is little foot traffic save the occasional 10-12 person college course group and a few day hikers.
The trails in PA are fantastic, well-marked and for the most part nicely graded (some steeper spots on the BFT, but nothing like the Whites or Daks).
All campsites are unmarked primitive tent sites along streams or on vistas.

My favorites for seclusion, vistas and streams in this order: BFT, STS, OLP, WRT.
PS I like PA trails much, much better than the FLT, though the FLT has LT's if a shelter is important to you.

Also, one more thing. From a topography perspective, you will find that in NY and PA the mountaintops are the true level of the land varying from 1500 - 2000 feet. What you think is the level of the land - The valleys and flats that people live in are really the cuts caused by erosion, streams, rivers and floods over the eons. The finger lakes were glacially carved. and at the foot of every lake are large falls.
If you stand on the mountains in PA or NY and look across, you will see they all plateau at very close to the same level and are pretty plat on top - Again - This is the true level of the land and everything below is carve-outs.

I live 20 min from Corning, NY just over the border in PA. I highly recommend the West Rim Trail going through the PA Grand Canyon. Are you visiting family or will you be there on business? I work for Corning Inc. :)

Wow. Reading all this is getting me a bit homesick (I grew up in Elmira, NY).

I concur with the expert advice given so far (I love the Grand Canyon of PA), but here are a couple others:

Robert Treman State Park just south of Ithaca, NY: Robert Treman SP There are trails above the main falls/swimming area that are lightly traveled with nice gorges - great dog swim opportunities.

Allegany State Park - Salamanca, NY: Allegany SP Tons of places here, but it's a bit further.

Have a great time!

Regards,
Marty