Looking for hiking boots that work well in wet/slippery conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I can tell, Salomon calls all its soles "Contragrip". There seem to be different kinds: "winter Contragrip", "runner Contragrip", etc., each spanning a variety of tread styles

My old workboots with Vibram soles and a simple deep ridge tread were much better on wet slabs than my Salomon "water shoes".

I also have found the contragrip & the Asolo to be good. Years ago I Merrell approach shoe that was soft & had great traction. LaSport & 5-10 make climbing shoes so the advise on their brands should be great.

Now for 1Adam12's comments, nothing works on the Allen Slide:eek: It's about the only place I hav found in the ADK's like that. Most of the bare rock areas in the High Peaks have great traction even when wet.

This may be of no use to you, but my LL Bean Cresta's have proven to be a simple joy to own. Mine are a bit beat up but are still waterproof and are only starting to get a little slippery on me (this, I suspect, is from the approximatly 500 miles of trails put on them :D) but would buy another pair in a heart beat. The only catch......they are technically backpacking boots, so may be heavier than what you are looking for (they are along the lines of Limmers)

Brian

Montrail Trail Runners,,Stratos series..in my opinion, stick better to what used to be slippery rocks and ledges better than any vibram sole i have ever tried...Nice and lightweight as well..goretex..You may only get a season or so out of them but they are virtually slip proof

Well the ultimate test will be: Take your new boots and head to the Allen Slide in the ADK. If they stick on your ascent please let me know what you bought. I will definately buy a pair :D

LOL

I was brave/crazy enough to try out a brandy new -out of the box- that morning pair of boots on Allen. No issues that day, nor the next day in the Santas or the next day Marcy/Gray/Skylight. I'd say I put 'em to the test that three day weekend!

They were awesome, and still are. Asolo -- call me Old School, but nothing beats a pair of heavy weight leather hiking boots when it comes to grip and support on slick rock.

http://www.asolo.com/ita/prod_det.php?area=2&catid=4&itemid=81

Very comfy -- supportive and protective of balls of feet on rugged stuff....soles have lasted about 400-500 miles before showing/feeling real wear...mine are near replacement age..don't waste your money on the goretex version, either model leaks like a seive (but has great grip and contact).

BTW, I think Drewski wears these, too.

Last edited:
I had a couple of pair of Lowa GTX's back-to-back - great right out of the box and on all surfaces.:D

I've had good results with Salomon Contagrip rubber. I get good traction with my Vasque Breeze shoes with Vibram rubber and my rock climbing shoes by Boreal also have good rubber.

LOL

I was brave/crazy enough to try out a brandy new -out of the box- that morning pair of boots on Allen. No issues that day, nor the next day in the Santas or the next day Marcy/Gray/Skylight. I'd say I put 'em to the test that three day weekend!

Holy crap, this is the first time I really felt I needed one of these: :eek:

Those are three hahd-coah days in row! In NEW BOOTS?!

Wow. Congratulations.

In new boots...

wow.

Wow! Thank you to all for the suggestions and advice. :D

Oh yeah. I was totally thrown off by that ADK story.

I heard a complaint by a Limmer wearer that the "Lightweight" sole (a Vibram) was too stiff and slippery, an opinion I found to be pretty severe once I had gotten out there on my pair. I just now had them re-soled, and while I did switch to the heaviest, most-durable option (you can only re-sole so many times), I haven't had any complaints for traction, and have seen others take spills which I avoided in identical foot-placements (preceded a partner up the Beaver Brook trail and warned him about the mossy stones.., just as he wiped out).

I am now also on my sixth month of breaking in a new pair (Standards) and will put them to their first hard use this weekend.

The guys at the shop can apply a variety of grippy soles, as long as it's a Norwegian welt. Glued shoes are one-timers, but would maybe be preferable for a dry Huntington Ravine.

Before I got good boots, I made do with some old-school Doc Martens (from before they went to China): plenty of ribbing from the thru-hikers, but they had incredible grip! They just can't take the abuse. Thru-hikers, that is.

Another friend likes his Salomons, too, and my wife LOVES her Merrell's.

Good luck, and please further describe your actual slippage anecdotes!

As far as I can tell, Salomon calls all its soles "Contragrip". There seem to be different kinds: "winter Contragrip", "runner Contragrip", etc., each spanning a variety of tread styles

+1 on the Salomons w/Contragrip! Didn't know about the different kinds, tho, will have to check that out.

I have a pair of Salomon low hikers that I love, and my Salomon trail-runners are uber-sweet.

IIRC, the treads on the trail runners are called the I-Ran Contra grip...

:rolleyes:

LOL

They were awesome, and still are. Asolo -- call me Old School, but nothing beats a pair of heavy weight leather hiking boots when it comes to grip and support on slick rock.

http://www.asolo.com/ita/prod_det.php?area=2&catid=4&itemid=81

Very comfy -- supportive and protective of balls of feet on rugged stuff....soles have lasted about 400-500 miles before showing/feeling real wear...mine are near replacement age..don't waste your money on the goretex version, either model leaks like a seive (but has great grip and contact).

BTW, I think Drewski wears these, too.

Darl wears these too@!@! I bought them days before I hiked the Grand Canyon and no sore feet or blisters in hot sweaty conditions! Love these boots!! Wear them almost 4 seasons!!

that was a good weekend. :D still kickin' myself for not doing marcy/gray/skylight with you the third day.

people 'round here really love to talk about their shoes, eh? :p

Ill tell you right now, Merrill Wilderness. You can buy them at the hardware store in Gorham, these are all you will ever need for a 3 season boot. Full grain leather, stiff yet supple, watewrproof with the proper treatments, they breath great and you can run down trails slick with wet leaves like a deer.
They will set you back about 240.00 but my first pair went 10 years of weekly hiking.

that was a good weekend. :D still kickin' myself for not doing marcy/gray/skylight with you the third day.

:p

Damn straight, and you woulda loved the 4 Sewards in a Day hike. :D

Good luck with your boots, Rizzy. Break in time?? Never heard of such a thing!

Holy crap, this is the first time I really felt I needed one of these: :eek:

Those are three hahd-coah days in row! In NEW BOOTS?!

Wow. Congratulations.

In new boots...

wow.

Damn good boots, I tell ya what...

Last edited: