Lost hunter blames GPS

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He had a compass!

Per Doug: 'He does mention in the video interview that he had a compass, but he could only use it during the day - at night time he used the GPS screen light to see his compass but he could only see the "southern needle".'

Southern Needle? Do we know what was in his thermos? I must be missing something here. :confused:

Thanks for links.

Since he's a hunter, there seems to be no scorn for our critique. ;)

I don't think he knows the area, or how to use his GPS. If so, that would explain why he was lost while hiking with a compass and GPS. I think he thought the GPS would direct him anywhere he wanted to go and back to the car. A compass is USELESS if you don't know which way to go, other than the ability to guess a direction and follow it until you emerge somewhere.

I don't understand how he could have functioned after going under water. Last time I got wet to my hips, in the mid 20'sF, I could not walk after five minutes. I got to my truck in about five minutes, could barely open the unlocked door, and had to drag myself into the truck because I could no longer move my legs. It was terrifying. How did this hunter do all this after getting wet?

He blames the GPS for "telling" him to go someplace, but he "knew better". Huh? He did it anyway. Was that the effect of hypothermia on the brain?

I'm glad he survived, and kudos to the rescuer and all the SAR folks who put in the effort.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I can't resist pointing out one more "issue"... the article states he was going snowblind--at night :confused:, and was completely snowblind within 30 minutes of dawn. I don't think so... Snow blindness is typically at high altitude, in strong sunlight, on very reflective snow. Not in the woods of Maine shortly after dawn!

Who knows how accurate his story is if he related it when hypothermic. Even now his memory of it might not be all that accurate.
Irrational thoughts and behavior is one of the very big signs of hypothermia.
I think he is very lucky to have survived especially after his plunge in the icy water and being out in near zero temps.
I agree with Forestnome. Being hypothermic to the point where you cannot even move your legs is terrifying.
Been there, done that, and never want to experience it again. My thoughts were very irrational (more that usual). I was very fortunate because help was nearby.
Perhaps he does need help with his GPS and compass but I would like to hear him interviewed when he is out of the hospital and has fully recovered from his traumatic event. If he had any doubts at all about how his "toys" work, the situation could have only gone from bad to worse when he was freezing to death.
Yes indeed, he is one very lucky dude to have been found by those the snowmobile folks or he would have been headed for the morgue not the hospital.

I agree with Maddy.

He was having vision problems and was almost certainly hypothermic. As such, he may not have been fully and accurately aware of what was happening, where he was and his navigation. The only objective evidence of his whereabouts that we may have is the GPS track, assuming that it was operating properly.

He was lucky that the snowmobiler stumbled upon him.

Doug