Lost my windshirt - can anyone suggest a replacement?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
On a whack today, I lost my windshirt. This is not a lost and found post, but hoping someone might suggest a replacement.

I had it for years - long sleeved, all synthetic, very tight weave, light weight, fairly windproof. It could repel light rain, and it breathed.

It's been with me a long time and until I was talked out of it, thought about driving back and rehiking the whack to find it.
It was one my always-with-me pieces of clothing.

Anyone have a suggested replacement?

If you want to add a touch of warmth with it, then I'd recommend Marmot Driclime Windshirt. Been around a long time, often imitated, but not improved upon.

Otherwise, if it's just a nylon/supplex windshirt you need - I'd watch Cabela's sales. I have one from them, actually made by Columbia, that's always in my pack. Shirts aimed at the fly fisherman market make good shirts for hiker types as well.

If you want to add a touch of warmth with it, then I'd recommend Marmot Driclime Windshirt. Been around a long time, often imitated, but not improved upon.

Otherwise, if it's just a nylon/supplex windshirt you need - I'd watch Cabela's sales. I have one from them, actually made by Columbia, that's always in my pack. Shirts aimed at the fly fisherman market make good shirts for hiker types as well.

I have a similar reco.

I use one of three depending upon the conditions.
  1. First and most often is used is a 65/35 work shirt - love it because it is just the thing to go slightly beyond a t-shirt. Great when it is really hot and all I need is sun protection....but it also works great for light wind. Now the added edge is to sew the small openings by the wrist closed with dental floss so when you're pushing thru dense growth and put your hands over your face, you dont scratch up your wrists.:D
  2. Second, for cooler weather is the Marmot Driclime - but I use this one more around town because I find it better for that than on the trail. Seems too warm on the trail for me most times, but the exception would be above treeline.
  3. And third, is a hooded tight weave nylon jacket. Either the one from EMS or Colombia will do.

I love the shirt I lost. Wish I could remember the blend of fabric, but it's mostly synthetic, thin, unlined, with a very tight weave. I could plow thru the thick stuff and it never caught or tore.
Completely uninsulated.

The funny thing is the company I used to work for would give them to good clients as they were billed as golf wind shirts. No lining and they wore like iron.

I have no advice here just wondering what a reco shirt is..thanks

I sympathize. I've got an EMS jacket that has stood up to thorns and snags for years, and I hope it lasts forever.

Try googling Eddie Bauer RipPac Jacket. It sounds like it may fit the bill. The reviews cautioned that they run small. There's a store in your neck of the woods, I believe.

Thanks, Audrey. Been looking around online. Found lots of windshells, not of them tightwoven without waterproofing and none unlined so far.
Will check out your recommendation.

Alan

I got one from Wild Things a few years back and it is a staple in my pack. There is really nothing to it, it's extremely light, breathable, no insulation, and repels light rain.

Unfortunately the are "relaunching" their gear and nothing is currently available on their website :(

The Golite looks like a nice piece of gear but the fabric would probably shred in the thick stuff. My most shirt has nothing to catch on by blowdown or prickers and never catches.
Thanks for the suggestion, maybe for trail hikes.

I'll third the rec for the Marmot driclime windshirt.

FWIW, Sierra Trading Post has them for around $70 (they retail at $99) but if you bide your time for a 30 or 35% coupon you can get it down to around $50 or a little less, shipped. *Well* worth it at that price. For active outdoor stuff at temps between 20 and 50 or so, I just about live in mine.

You may think this is a broken record, but I LOVE my Marmot Driclime Windshirt. Althought it is light in weight (8-9 ounces) the Driclime lining makes it very warm for this time of year, unless you are standing around on a windy summit. The fabric is light but reasonable durable. As mentioned above, it can be too warm if you are climbing strenuously. Nonetheless, it is almost always in my pack. Many times it has been soaking wet on the outside and dripping at the cuffs, but the lining (and person wearing it) was totally dry. It is amazing!

It is hard to find a simple unlined synthetic windshirt these days. Most companies have gone to ultralight nylon or polyester jackets aimed toward runners. These work well for that group, but probably don't have the strength and durability needed for bushwhacking. REI just happened to have it on sale, so I have just ordered a MH Geist jacket which at 6 ounces is probably not durable enough for bushwhacking. I was interested in something I could use in three seasons when it is too cold or windy for a T shirt, but not cold enough for the Driclime jacket.

Joe,

With all the posts about the Dri Clime, I think I may pick one up. Still mourning that bombproof, tightweave windshirt that I've put thru hell in blowdown, spruce bayonets, and blackberry farms without a catch or tear.

Thinking of back up and over my route to see if I can find it. It should be laying on the forest floor of deciduous woods.

+1 for the Driclime. I use it for everything.

But also would recommend the Patagonia Traverse jacket. Not really a "windshirt," but a very light weight softshell, with a tight weave and durable for bushwhacking, repels light rain really well. Very good for this time of year. The description says 11 oz, but it feels much lighter than that.

What about this Cordura Windshirt? (I'm looking to get one now, Alan). Want to protect my Down Jacket, next time I bushwhack in thorns. Thanks for the Bushwhack though! I'm game for any future ones (as long as they aren't like the Cornell Crack).

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/rev...our Windshirt/Test Report by Andrew Henrichs/

Outdoor Research Contour Windshirt

I found one discounted to $69. Am ordering it.

Thanks to the recommendation of Joe and others, bought my first DriClime a few months ago where it almost permanently resides.
The shell is rather fragile for the thick stuff so I picked up a lightweight, uninsulated golf wind shirt which seems to be a decent substitute for blowdown and pricker canes.
Roleigh, happy to have you and Thor along on Saturday.

I checked the link, looks like it might be a great addition. Lets get it out in some thick stuff and see how it holds up. Pretty impressive so far.

Alan