Lost trail info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentCal

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there was once a trail that branched from the Welch-Dickey Loop and went to Mt. Tecumseh. I remember reading about this somewhere but could not find any information on the Lost Trails Website.
Thanks

I don't know if it ever was an official trail, but there's an obvious herd path heading towards Tecumseh. The old Topos don't show a trail but that doesn't mean much.

-dave-

The 1928 AMC White Mountain Guide reads "From the summit of Mt. Tecumseh the crest ridge can be followed S. (no trail) over unimportant summits with uncertain names to Welch Mountain. The route includes some scrub and many stretches of smooth ledges." The guidebook map shows the route going over Green, Fisher and Stone Mountains.

In the 1930s and '40s there were several official trails to Tecumseh that no longer exist (officially). There was also an unofficial trail from the summit of Tecumseh to Welch Mt. That's the one I think you're interested in.

Here's the description:

From the main summit of Mt Tec. the crest ridge can be followed S, without trail, to Welch Mtn....From the main summit of Mt. Tec, follow the ski trail to the ridge S of the cliffs. Heading S, keeping somewhat W of the crest, avoiding two humps [sic]. When above the Tecumseh-Green col, swing SW and drop down to it, finding open ledges and a partly cleared surveyor's line. Follow this over Green Mtn (wooded), thence to an open summit with a fine view (probably Stone Mtn), then over open ledges to Dicky Mtn and Welch Mtn. Distance, 5 miles (4-6 hours). A 1936 description.

Information

In 1993-4 someone in the Waterville Valley (WVAIA) Association experessed interest in creating an official trail linking both summits but I don't know where that went. Probably into the dustbin considering the WMNF stance on cutting trails. There are cairns along that route from time to time. I do know that the Timber Camp Trail was opened back up around that time. IMHO that would be a nice BC ski trail except for the shuttle requirements. Timber Camp is pretty fun in winter.

There is also the old Dickey Notch Trail which is now a bike path that connects the parking area at the Welch-Dickey Loop trailhead with Tripoli Rd. Check out this link for more information on this and other "lost trails". It's certainly not comprehensive and it hasn't been updated in a long time but, it's very interesting!

Lost Trails Website

Double Bow said:
There is also the old Dickey Notch Trail which is now a bike path that connects the parking area at the Welch-Dickey Loop trailhead with Tripoli Rd. Check out this link for more information on this and other "lost trails". It's certainly not comprehensive and it hasn't been updated in a long time but, it's very interesting!

Lost Trails Website

There was the Johnson River Tr also. It came in from the west (ranger station on Tripoli Road) and joined the current trail that goes over the Tecumseh summit east and then north to Tripoli Road. I think it also connected to (or near) the old Dicky Notch Trail. Quite a lot of activity in there in the 30s and 40s.

Thanks for the replies. I did check out the Lost Trails Website but did not find the exact listing. I noticed the Bike route from a recent trip and wondered if maybe that was route. It's something I might check out this summer.

Cascade Ravine

If you and tough a tough short very steep and historic bushwhack try Cascade Ravine trail the start is not hard to find it is near where the Israel ridge and Link meet. It ends at the perch and passes some nice waterfalls. Oddly enough I have a ski and walking path nicknamed Skull rock on our land we found a deer skull on it a huge boulder on the trail once.
You might find the remains of old cabins and sites that are near some nice waterfalls in Cascade Ravine if you go in there I believe it is legal to camp at the sites. One note it is very thick and the spruce can be brutal.