Low Cut Approach Shoes for High Sierra

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab2020

Reaction score
Clarksville, MD Avatar: Babo, SE Arete, Summit
I am looking for thoughts on a lightweight pair of shoes, that can double as trail runners and good shoes for 4th class slab and technical ridgelines like those found in tuolomne and further south on the pacific crest trail

I was thinking the guide tennies by five ten. Of course I will have to see how they fit, but in way of waterproofness how are they? Does anyone have experience using these as trail runners?

Montrails and La Sportivas tend to fit me well. I have narrow to average feet width. Anyone used the montrail CTCs?

Sticky rubber soles/good traction on granite slabs, good edging and stability, forefoot cushinoning, and waterproofness seem to be the key factors here.

Thanks,
Justin

I've had a pair of 5.10's for several years and the sticky rubber is great for 4th class scrambling (and easy 5th class). Forget about waterproofness. They aren't. You can cover them with plastic shopping bags for crossing short snow patches (works with crampons too).

The La Sportiva Exum Ridge is a really nice shoe that seems to fit your requirements... good and sticky on the slabs and granite in general, and a nice trail runner as well. They still lace down to the toe if you wanna tighten them up for some easy 5th class stuff.

No luck on the waterproofing, though.

Kevin

exum ridges

Waterproofing will probably be left out of this as they are more for summer use and good breathability will probably negate that anyway... (drying ability), I will have to check out the exum ridges, I recently heard about them elsewhere... Thanks for the tip.

blacklab2020 said:
guide tennies by five ten. Of course I will have to see how they fit, but in way of waterproofness how are they? Does anyone have experience using these as trail runners?

I have a pair of fine-ten Guide Almighty - which were (they're discontinued) a "high top" version of the Guide Tennie. They are not waterproof. I have a narrow foot and they fit me just fine.

FWIW, I think of this kind of a shoe as a "low hiker" with a rock shoe sole. I bought the Five-Ten to replace a pair of trail runners that I was using as an approach shoe. The two are completely different animals. The padding is different, the rocker on the sole is different. The "edging" is different. The feel for the surface underfoot is totally differnt. The guide is clunky. The trail runner is "fleet".

The Guide is great for class four, but... sticky rubber wears VERY quickly as you may know. If you're gonna use 'em for trail running, better figure they'll be in the shop for a resole on a fairly regular basis.

I used to have a pair of La Sportiva Boulder approach shoes that were a bit narrow for me (Salomon's fit me better) but were great for short hikes and easy technical climbing. They were the old green and purple leather ones, were not waterproof and had no padding on the soles. The only warning I'll give is that snug-fitting approach shoes might not be the shoes you want to wear if the approach is 5 miles long.