lumbar packs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally broke down and got a fanny pack for 1/2 day hikes last year. This is the model I got, but I found it for about half the price.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...&productId=3023609&parent_category_rn=4500631

It sounds small, but is large enough to hold a light nylon anorak, ball cap, water dish for the dog, 2 pint water bottles, snacks/lunch, bug repellent, sun screen, and guidebook without being crammed full. It also has ways to lash stuff to the outside if you need additional space. The feature that drew me to this one over others were the compression straps. If I'm trail running and have it barely full, I can cinch everything down so it doesn't bounce.

I've used a Mountainsmith fanny pack for several years and many peaks. After a few years of hitching it up I sprung for the shoulder harness though I would expect anyone with hips might not need the harness.

I prefer it over a backpack for dayhikes because my back stays drier and cooler. It also keeps your center of gravity lower for better stability during tricky scrambles. I also use it for winter dayhikes but lash my outer layer(s) to the pack, the two pockets already filled to capacity.

I create extra space, especially for items apt to be used frequently like a map, compass, trail mix, spare gloves or liners, or you name it, by wearing tops, be it fleece sweatshirts or vests (I usually wear a nylon vest over a polypro T-shirt a la Ed Norton in summer ) with plenty of pockets.

q10

I've had a Arcteryx Q10 for the past two years and I love it.
I've often used it for motorcycle and bike rides, and for hiking anything less than an overnight.

There's plenty of room for two nalgenes, snacks/MSR pocket rocket and a 3-cup moka, cameras and extra layers, and on the back there is a neat stow pocket and room to stash larger objects like a jacket or sleeping pad.

I have found it to be very comfortable with good carry despite the lack of shoulder straps.

Have an 800 cu in lumbar pack (Dana Designs). It holds more than stuff than I can comfortably carry in a fanny pack - having that much weight off my lower back is painful, regardless of the suspension system. It's okay for 1/2 day of hiking or x-country skiing. But for a full day trip, a light backpack provides better weight distribution.

For those of you who have the Arcteryx Q10, how adjustable is it? I have just been informed that I can no longer carry a backpack due to complications from breast cancer surgery. I am currently about 100 pounds, and want something that will fit well enough to be comfortable for all day hikes. I figure for backpacking I can really cinch up my hip belt and my right shoulder strap and go. i mean, if I can't hike and backpack, why bother to survive cancer? :(

Hello Chinooktrail,

The suspension system of the Q10 is highly adjustable, although my problem is a minor excess of girth, rather than the contrary. The supports attach via a Velcro system and it is a very easy matter to reduce the extent of these so the point where the belt emerges is comfortable on you. In fact, since writing my initial note I made a few adjustments that have considerably increased the comfort of the pack. There are doubtless limits, but I'd certainly encourage you to order one--Sierra, in particular, is extremely good about returns.

Ted.

My wife uses a lumbar pack, from LL Bean, when she hikes with me. We carry lighter stuff in it, such as rain and wind jackets. She really likes it, and she also gets other uses from it.

When I hike solo I bring too much stuff to fit in it.

I really need a pack that I can fit all the stuff I need in, my husband left me when I was diagnosed with the cancer, so hiking is now all solo, and my main form of therapy. I need something that won't move all around and drive me crazy. I will try out the Q10, it seems to have a pretty loyal following. If I drive by Bean's in the near future I will swing in and try on what I can there too.