Lurkers in Our Midst

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is becoming a beautiful moment......
-sniff sniff-
(choking back tears of joy)

Hi all,

I'm no lurker, really, but I am new to the site. I just did my very first backpack trip ever...130 miles of the LT in Vt. I was hoping to go the distance, but bit off more than I could chew just yet. Anyway, I went with sli74, aka Seema. She's still out there slogging out the miles. Man, does she rock or what? Anyway...while I was out there I had the chance to meet some other VFTT members who joined us, SherpaK, JohnS (I think that might be what he posts under), Meri, and Bob (the one who's not really a Bob.) It was a great time, great people, a great introduction to backpacking and I was well taken care of by some of the aforementioned folks when I threw in the bandana.

So, I just wanted to say hi, and I look forward to seeing those people again and meeting new ones! Thanks.

T.Co.

Was Seema planning to do the entire shot, in a complete hike through? Wouldn't that be cool if a bunch of us could meet her at the end on Springer? If so we should plan it.

Welcome all Lurkers and Lurkettes. See that didn't hurt.:)

peak_bgr....if you went all the way to Springer you would never see Seema....she's on the LT...not the AT.;) Cool idea though! She'll be finishing at the LT canadian border on Wed. It's a fairly short hike from Shooting Star to the end. I'm hoping my knees and ankles will feel good enough to hike in to the shooting star shelter on Tuesday night and hike out with her on Wed. Take pictures, celebrate, bring her a bottle of champagne and something tasty to eat!

T.Co.

peak_bgr said:
Don't I feel stupid???:rolleyes:

Join the club :)

Toe Cozy: nice to have you here! It was a pleasure to meet and hike with you (ok, stagger behind you). Happy to have you share a nice meal at the Pub on the way home. Say hi to Chip for me - you 2 are great folks, and I hope to see you again soon! BTW, 130 miles is nothing to be ashamed of. Take a poll: most of us haven't done that in one stretch. I know I haven't been over 60 miles! You done great!

lurkers

Welcome lurkers..
I must confess I was a lurker for a long, long time before I registered. And even now I read and read but seldom comment. I come to these forums to learn from others but if you are begging for my opinion then....
Really I am fairly new to hiking mountains and feel I need to listen rather than advise at this point.

Re: lurkers

Hakuna Matata said:

Really I am fairly new to hiking mountains and feel I need to listen rather than advise at this point.

A beginner's perspective is often important, especially to other beginners.
-veg

Way to smoke 'em out, Alpine!!!

Tho I still know of a few lurkers I haven't seen come out yet...

The other half of the B!t@h Sisters, Chief Sitting Bull, and the revered S.S. Wanderer for starters....

Might take a while -- I was a lurker for almost two years before the Great Crash sent me clawing out of the woodwork. I needed my VFTT fix!!!

Lurkers

Well,I guess I fall under this catagory. I'm too busy fixing Mrs. Robo's parts, She's getting old now,and her parts have been discontinued,so I end up having to fabricate them in the basement.;)

Lurking

Infrequent poster, frequent lurker here. I ask the occasional question - to which I always get very helpful replies - and try to chime in when I have something to offer...which doesn't seem to be often!

Bruce

Ditto above poster. I often read the forums, but rarely post since I typically don't have the knowledge for which people are looking or what I would post has already been said. Lurk, lurk, lurk. :)

we're supposed to have knowledge??????

pudgy_groundhog said:
Ditto above poster. I often read the forums, but rarely post since I typically don't have the knowledge for which people are looking or what I would post has already been said. Lurk, lurk, lurk. :)

Thats never stopped me ;)

Last edited:
Perhaps an incentive program would do it for the rest.

Come forth into the light, get a VFTT patch!

Cool thread. You all are smart! I just joined. I've been a lurker since earlier this summer, despite the fact that I've been hiking the peaks in New England and NY State since I was 12. I like the joint-emphasis of the two geographic locations on this site! I was first allerted to VFTT from the AMC Forums back in June or so... A good recruiting location, I think. I'll be an active participant in the future!