Machu Picchu?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smitty

Reaction score
:confused: Has anyone here hiked to Machu Picchu, and if so , could you post some 411. or PM if you prefer. Thank you, Smitty

Spice it up

Yes I have and I highly recommend doing the Inca trail back to back with the Salkantay trek, which takes you over a high mountain pass (4 800 m). You can see pics here , although the text in is French. I highly recommend Peru Agency (deal with Vilma preferably) to arrange for the trek. You now need to join a guided group to do the Inca trail and the week link is the train taking you to and fro the trailhead (even if you do the Salkantay trek, you still need a reservation to take the train back from Aguas Calientes). You need a reservation ! There are a lot of people walking the trail everyday (hundreds) but it is a cultural happening well worth it. If you decide to do the Salkantay trek first, you will see very few trekers (if any) on that leg.

I was at Machu Picchu in the late 90's, but I arrived by train and bus. The only hiking I did was up to the top of Huayna Picchu (the mountain peak you see in most pictures). That hike took about an hour from the ruins to the summit.

If you have the time I would suggest getting a hotel room in Aquas Caliente for the night. This is a small town at the bottom of the mountain. By spending the night you'll have more time to explore the day you arrive and will be able to get up to the ruins early in the morning to see the awesome shadows and cloud formations floating through the mountains. You'll also avoid most of the tourists and have the place practically to yourself.

I'll trade you my Mongolia trip for your Peru trip ;) I have always wanted to go, but I am having a hard convincing my wife :( Have fun and stay safe.

I wish I could read French, RR, it looks like you had a great trip. I checked out the web page for Peru Agency, the trips look very affordable. I have been to Chile climbing for a few weeks back in '99, and would love to learn more about your trip to Peru. I have several weeks of vacation time coming and am looking for a place to spend it. :)

Machu Picchu (along with New Zealand and Alaska) is on my dream trip list. If I win lotto I'd combine it with a trip through Belize.

RR Your photos are wonderful. It seems like the cost of trekking isn't bad but the airfare to get there and staying before and after must be the killer part.

I did a quick look online on Travelocity. You can get a flight from Boston to Cusco Peru for aroung $650, which is less than I spent on a flight from Boston to Santiago several years ago. The room rates there look pretty affordable as well. This is definately worth looking into.

Hey, Bud!! Great looking trip!! Nice to see Georges and your smiling faces!!

Machu Picchu is really something to experience, no doubt. You've been to some great places in the world -- thanks for sharing them. I still loved the Gros Morne pix (it's close enough to dream) and couldn't pass on the Morrocan food when I was as at Epcot last!!

Drop in at the BBQ...

thank you

for all the help, I know its early but I'm looking at next year or 2007. I did some searches and found out a bit about it , like the mandatory guide, but this info helps a lot. :)