MacNaughton in the Moonlight - March 11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam

Reaction score
With job commitments and a late start, Matt, his dog - Shipwreck, and I left the lodge at 5 p.m. Not much snow on the trail to Scott's Dam. Met Pierre on the trail at 7 p.m. up by the leanto. From Scott's Dam to Scott's Pond, was brutal even with the trail being broke. It was harder going nowthan when I broke the trail back in January to Walface Pond. I never used my headlamp until after I left Walface Pond. From Walface Pond to the summit was just as tough going.

We reached the summit at 11:30 p.m. There was no wind, almost a full moon, not a cloud in the sky and it was 32 degrees. It was a beautiful night. We could see Lake Placid all lit up. I could see lights in the north, northwest, I think it was Tupper Lake. Off in the east in the far distance, we could see a red flashing light. It was a view I'll never forget.

On the return trip, about 3 a.m., it started to cloud up and the wind came up. I told Matt we were going to beat the rain. We arrived back at the lodge at 5:30 a.m. Made it back to Carthage by 8:30 a.m.

This is the time to get MacNaughton before the trail conditions change with warming weather. Use extreme caution when doing water crossings. Many thanks to Pierre for breaking the trail. Wish our schedules would have worked so I could have helped him break the trail.

Congratulations Matt & Sam!
Very nice report. You almost made me sorry for not having turned back to join you two and gaze in full wonder at the lighted sky from the top of MacNaughton on that exceptionnally clear warm night.
To the pleasure of meeting again.
Pierre

A trailess, bushwhack at night, in the Adirondacks. I am duly impressed.

I plan to finish my 100 on Mac, so I've been avoided it til now. I think I'll do it during the day first time around. Awesome report....

Congrats !

A moonlight trip, that's exactly how I would like to finish my 46 (#47). Thanks for that great idea, now I just need to find partners to join me. Probably in July or August, anyone interested ?