MacNaughton-lets plan a group trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'll monitor this thread. I'll be in the A.O. on March 2nd. Sounds intriguing.

MacNaughton in March

I'm interested - the 2nd might be tough to make, as I'm supposed to be in New Orleans, but the 9th or 16th would work...I'll follow this to see what date is chosen.

Scott

Neil-

The original plan was upper works to hunter pond. This route has a chance of being traveled by then. The other approach would be from wallface ponds from the loj.

We can talk about it more as we get closer. Maybe monitor the boards to see which route would be better.

I'm in Florida on the 2nd, but I could be in for the Make-up date. I'll watch in the background and see how things progress.

MacNaughton

If all goes well this winter I might join you on this adventure. Place a question mark next to my name. If I only have a peak or two to finish my basic winter 46, than I will chose finishing. So it depends on where I am on the list.

Adventurous said:
Hey Spence - put me down as a maybe. I'll try to schedule my next trip around this event.
You got it. But change that maybe to a yes, alright?

Alistair-it is March 2nd with a backup of March 16th.

Sounds good. I think two groups might be in order for this trip.

So, everybody line up against the wall and we'll pick teams.

Who wants Alistair?? :D

Gail and I make a good team :D

We still plan on being there, looking forward to this trip!

Anybody in for a Wallface Ponds / MacNaughton / Wallface loop or traverse ? :D

Motabobo said:
Anybody in for a Wallface Ponds / MacNaughton / Wallface loop or traverse ? :D
I wouldn't try it. It looks great on a map but the ridge on that side of Wallface was leveled. The dead fall would be unforgiving, and the traps from the fallen trees, would be dangerous.

You would have to drop back down to Wallface Ponds and follow the drainage down to near the Vly then cut up that side of the ridge. Not adding alot of distance but loosing more elevation.

Mac from Wallface Ponds

Hello, Peak Bagr & others,

On the first weekend in January, I climbed Mac in an RWMS group of 5. We came in from ADK Loj, camped near end of the Blue Trail, and climbed from Wallface Ponds. We followed a reasonable clear line up the ridge. No real problems with blowdown, but it does get steep towards the top. Longer than I would try as a day hike in winter. Let me know if you'd like any more info on this route.

Mike

It's about a 13 miles RT from that side, about 12miles RT from the MacNaughton Brook Side and only about 9 miles RT from the South. All of which are going to be a long day hike for winter, especially if routes are unbroken. The Southern Approach is from the Indian Pass Trail via a drainage run. This trail should be broken to that point. The Trail section from Scott Clearing to Wallface Ponds is iffy. The trail to the Hinter Pond access should be OK. I don't plan on any route being stomped out greatly.

We may have one group going up the ponds side and a second following MacNaughton Brook. There's always the option of a Southern Approach, one that Brian and I are familiar with.

By the way, who's doing MacNaughton this Saturday for the Carson Hike?

Last edited:
Count me In

Well I completed my Winter 46 but still need MacNaughton for the complete winter circle.

Include me in this trip, RT.

:)

Final Update

The plan is to meet at the Upper Works Trailhead at 6am on Sunday. The route will be from Wallface Lean-to via a drainag (not the Wallface Pond Drainage). This route will bring us up toward South MacNaughton along the ridge and over to the true summit. Around 5 miles from car to summit half of the day will be bushwhacking. We got a little bit of snow over the last couple days so plan on some trailbreaking at least from the lean-to. Being that we are going on sunday we may have a broken route to the lean-to.

Does anyone know the brook situation the bridge is out is it crossable on the ice? Should be ok.