Madams and Addison—you know what I mean!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunchberry

Reaction score
From Saturday June 3rd...better late than never…

For weeks I had been looking forward to this hike…my friend Nicole and I had planned to do a two-day Presi traverse staying overnight at Lakes of the Clouds hut, hiking along with her two uncles and cousin. I was so eagerly awaiting this hike it started appearing in my dreams for a couple nights before the weekend…in one dream someone had constructed a ski lift up Madison that we were supposed to sit in to get up the mountain (yuck!), and in another dream the Madison Hut had turned into a castle that resembled Hogwarts (in Harry Potter). Very weird dreams, I know.

Saturday morning as we drove to the trailhead, it began to sprinkle. We all knew that rain was in the forecast for the day, but we were quite optimistic that it would clear up at some point, and wouldn’t be too bad. As we started up Valley Way, however, the sprinkle turned to showers and the showers turned to rain—heavy rain. We trudged along up the trail, wet and soggy, but very happy. I was hiking in the front with Nicole and her cousin Greg, but I soon started lagging. My legs started to feel a little weak and I realized I needed food, fast. I ate two Lara Bars and within about ten minutes began to feel strong again. That quick re-energizing process always amazes me…I just need to get better at eating before I start to crash!

I was only about fifteen minutes away from Madison Springs Hut at that point, so rejoined Nicole and Greg at the hut soon enough. We were all soaked through and through, and as we waited for Todd and Bob (Nicole’s two uncles), we started thinking through our options in case this inclement weather turned out to really be a problem. Todd jokingly suggested that we ask the Madison Hut croo member whether there was space for five at their hut that night…then we wouldn’t have to go a step further! He did check for us (smart man), and we found out that there was indeed space. Knowing that there was space, we all found our confidence and decided that we would at least try to continue to Lakes, and we could always turn around if the weather deemed it necessary. We lasted 20 minutes. Amidst sideways sleet and wind that tried to knock us down, we made a group huddle and shouted to each other over the howling wind that this endeavor was just not work the risk...no need to push on in such an unsafe environment, especially knowing the Madison Hut had room for us! So back to the hut we went.

Once we switched and confirmed our reservations for the night, we decided to gather our courage and brave Mt. Madison. After all, we could always turn back…surprisingly, the trail up Madison seemed somewhat sheltered from the wind, and before we knew it, we had summited! We didn’t stay long, but I did make sure to get a summit photo since the summit of Madison had eluded me four times prior to that day…finally, it was meant to be. We got back to the hut quickly enough and realized that it was still early…we had a dry hut to come back to…so why not get a little more wet?? Adams was calling our names…

Like Madison, I had yet to summit Adams and couldn’t believe that I was choosing to summit what is known to be one of the most beautiful peaks on a day with about 50 feet visibility. But I was having fun—that’s what it is all about. Unlike Madison, as we headed up toward Adams we were not sheltered at all, and the wind was showing its power like a dragon would to a would-be slayer…Todd brought us together and questioned whether we should continue on, and I certainly had doubts of my own. We regrouped, decided to keep going, but to be very, very cautious. By the time the summit was within sight, I was holding onto the rocks for safety and I had to keep my eyes partially closed to keep out the sleet. But wow, what an adventure. We didn’t stay on the summit for long—just long enough for another photo and a congratulatory hug or two. We made our way slowly, slowly down the peak, adventurous spirits waning as the hut grew closer with each step. I felt ecstatic and exhausted, and I don’t think I’ve ever appreciated the shelter of the hut as much as I did that night. I kept picturing what could have happened had we tried to make it all the way to Lakes—I am so glad that I will never know.

When we returned from this adventure, I kept telling everyone about climbing Madams or Addison—I just couldn’t get it right! But really, you all know what I mean and for everyone else, who’s to say there couldn’t be two peaks named Madams and Addison??

For those who know I'm a woman of many photos, you’ll know I wasn’t exaggerating about the weather when you check out the photos…all 6 of them :)

http://community.webshots.com/album/551143090nzcJPw

-katie

Great report and nice job - sounds like good team calls were made on this trip - signs of a successful trip :D

It can be a scary place in bad weather up there - I cut my teeth in winter on both of them peaks over the years and have been in very similar situations - do we go, no go, go, no go.......the northern pressies can be tough!

Some great views from both them peaks - you have to get there on a nice day -

If only KMartman's buddy had seen this report before he bailed out on him maybe he would have realized that he could have had a good hike even in the rain. What an adventure-thanks for shaaring it.