Madison Gulf Trail--doable for a dog?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugahjohn

Reaction score
Revere, MA | Avatar: Descending Hi-Cannon Trail
I was thinking about taking my dog over to Mt. Madison (and maybe Adams--depending on how she's doing) sometime this weekend, perhaps via a loop going up Madison Gulf and down Osgood. It seemed doable for a dog after reading the AMC White Mountain Guide, but then I got the opposite impression upon reading the 4,000 footer book. How "doggie-doable" would y'all rate it, according to your (and your pup's) experience(s)? Sugar, my dog, has completed her all-around 48, so she's encounterred a fair amount.

Thanks for your help!

I wouldn't take a dog up or down that unless the dog has proved adept at scrambling up sheer rock. It's tricky for humans with hand to grab things, not sure how a dog would do.

-dave-

I haven't been on that specific trail (yet), but looking at the pic it would depend on how long that stretch is. For example, North Twin Trail for my dog was really easy. While that is sheer, there were breaks here and there which allowed her to go up and down and all over like a GD billygoat.

Might be safer to pick another trail if you aren't sure.

That particular section isn't very long but it is bare rock. There are more scrambles higher up, enough that a dog would need to be carried in at least a few sections.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
That particular section isn't very long but it is bare rock. There are more scrambles higher up, enough that a dog would need to be carried in at least a few sections.

-dave-

Aaah, that's chicken!! Looking at that pic it still doesn't look that bad, but I'm sure it's not doing it justice and I will defer. I know you have seen many a hiking dog in your day, so if you say so I believe ya'! :)

Someday, when I do cross that trail off my list, I guess I'll get a better read. But, no, that doesn't help this discussion at all....

I'd have reservations about a dog doing Madison Gulf as well, unless it was a great scrambler. Adams is tough on dog feet - best approach is via Gulfside and then turning up at T-storm Jct. That mimimizes the rough rock.

Honestly ask yourself if the dog really wants to do it, or does he just like being with you no matter where you go.

It was a bummer to see a dog near the top of Huntington Ravine a few weeks ago. He was licking his bleeding paws and panting heavily. It was a large dog, like yours, and it's hard to climb that thing alone, never mind hauling a dog. Also, I find this to be quite dangerous because the dog could startle and kick, sending both of you tumbling. :eek:

Happy Trails :)

Judging by the original post, I kind of blew past the standard warnings about the sharp rocks, lack of water, etc. in the Presidentials. I personally was looking at the specific trail in question. Sounds like it would be one to avoid with a dog. Nothing worse than getting half-way on a steep section with a dog. Going up is impossible, but retreating is even more so. Better to take the easier route and be safe. The dog won't know the difference...an 8-hour hike, no matter where, is really what they want. They could care less about 'peakbagging'. I know, mine said so after we finished ;)

Thank you all for your responses. I often hesitate before asking a question involving dogs because the answers, as with those in response to questions religious, can turn emotional, overly pedantic, or downright preachy. As I mentioned, Sugar does have some experience on the trails, definitely not as much as some, but more than others. Along the way, she and I have had to learn some lessons the hard way, despite my efforts to gather as much (correct) advance information as possible. For those of us who have a dog and have seen their better half meet with essentially avoidable injury and subsequently endure effectively unnecessary pain, the emotional scars that we carry long outlast our buddy's limp or blown pad. An icey tightness grips my gut and my gorge rises even now when I recall the self-serving, even flippant, answers that were offered to me by some people on- and offline. I'm grateful that your responses have largely addressed the question as asked, and that qualifications respectfully have been made when appropriate. Indeed, I am very grateful. Thanks again!

i remember that getting onto the rock in the first pic by Dave, I had to climb up a small tree and shimmy over onto that rock to even get onto it. I did that trail twice years ago and I definitely wouldn't bring a dog up it.

FWIW, I found certain sections of the Mad Gulf trail to be as challenging as any trail I have climbed in the Whites. I would not want to have the dog that I was carrying wiggle when I was reaching for a handhold (and you will have to carry it in 2 sections, from what I recall). It's a beautiful trail, but my vote would be sans dog.