Maine 3K Sunday 3 Fer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamehiker

Reaction score
In my continued quest to find the most obscure and remote peaks possible I offer up these 3. Marble Mountain, Saddle Hill, and Kibby Range South Peak.
My original goal was to do Boundary and Monument Peaks from Zec Louise Gosford. When I arrived at the gate house the gatekeeper said the road in to Boundary was too soft so I looked at the map and decided to go west to Marble and Saddle.
After a scenic drive thru the Quebec countryside and the "metropolis" of Notre Dame des Bois, I headed south toward the border and parked at the trailhead. The trail or ATV road heads East toward the border and passes the scenic Lac Danger or la petite lac. Turning north at the border swath the trail reaches Monument 471 and climbs steeply to Marble Mt. The actual highpoint and great view to the South is in Quebec. There was a pile of rocks on the swath itself that topped out over 3000 ft. the trail then heads North toward Saddle Hill following the swath which is heavily used by ATV's. After passing a couple of fancy hunters blinds and a family picking fiddleheads I climbed up to Saddle Hill.
I then returned to the car and drove back across the border. At the crossing my dog Sadie was completely ignored by the guard. I then drove to the Beaudry Road parked at the 2 Mile marker and started East thru a clear cut. That clear cut ended and became open woods which then turned into another clear cut with great views of the peak. Then it was back into the woods and up to the ridge where the vegetation was denser. I finally reached the moss covered high point and rested. Note: there are now tall white towers on the West Peak of the Kibby Range and also on the ridge just north of the South Peak.
On the way back down I followed a tote road from the 2nd clear cut back to the Beaudry Road at the 2.5 Mile marker. It was on this road that I had my first ever Black Bear in Maine (outside the Gray wildlife park)sighting. Fortunately Sadie was behind me and didn't see it.
A long tiring and fun day in all. Saw lots of other obscure and remote peaks for another time.
Gamehiker.

Nice trip report. I gotta check those out sometime. I still have so much to explore here in the great state of Maine. :)

Great trip report... I'm lookin forward to camping out off the Beaudry a little later this year. Thanks for whettin my whistle!

'whack-on!

Onestep

Thanks for the trip report. Did you find registers on Marble, Saddle Hill, or the Kibby Range East Peak?

Marble is a trail peak, hence no register there. Saddle and East Kibby have always had registers in the past.

I was on South Kibby but no register, I didn't see one on Saddle either. East Kibby is on the radar screen for later.