Maine 4000 footer to save for last?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtNap

Reaction score
This Thursday I hope to be finishing my NH48 on the Bonds. After 30 peaks through the list, after already rushing through many of the taller ones, I made sure I saved something special for the end. So with those done, and Vermont peaks done previously...its on to Maine to finish the NE67.

The one regret....I couldn't wait...I went and hiked the Katahdin peaks last year. That of course would have been a perfect place to celebrate.

So, just gaining membership this week to this site that I've used endlessly for trail conditions, I am glad to finally be able to ask the experts their suggestions. Where would you choose to end your list in Maine if it couldn't be Katahdin?

So, just gaining membership this week to this site that I've used endlessly for trail conditions, I am glad to finally be able to ask the experts their suggestions. Where would you choose to end your list in Maine if it couldn't be Katahdin?
Bigelows! The east one has a view of Katahdin and Washington, IIRC.

Welcome to the board, and good choice on the Bonds. If you can save Bondcliff! It truly rocks the house!

finished my ne67 on the bigelows on a gorgeous october day. that was a nice finale. have fun.

bryan

I finished my NH48 on Bondcliff and the 67 on the Bigelows!

Beautiful peaks and amazing views.

Enjoy your hike on Thursday, hope you get perfect weather.

Welcome to the board.

:)

Bigelows, agreed. Wide open, incredible peaks with limitless, gorgeous views. No doubt. The finest of the fine.

My second choice up there would be Abraham, which also has an excellent open summit and is an enjoyable hike. Third choice would be a Saddleback/Horn duet.

Fourth would be Old Speck, as there are myriad trail options to get up it, and while the summit has limited views, a climb of the tower opens the world up to you.

Don't save Redington, Crockers, Spaulding, or Sugarloaf for a finish.

Hard to go wrong with the Bigelows as others have mentioned. Abraham was my last in 4K peak in Maine and #110 of 111 in the Northeast ... I enjoyed the mountain thoroughly, but it was more by default than by design. Of course, I had to go back for Spaulding and Redington after their "promotions" and I wouldn't really recommend either of the two as finishing peaks. Really, most of the Maine 4K peaks are pretty fine; it's just a great state all-around. OK, I'm rambling. :)

Postpone your finish.

Go back to NH and VT and hike the NEHH peaks there.

Then go back to Maine, wrap things up, and celebrate a NE67/NEHH finish on Hamlin, the Bigelows, or Abraham. :D

Just sayin':p

For the 67 My vote would be for a finish on the Bigelows with an overnight stay up there, catch the sunrise before you head down.

I finished on Saddleback as I was with a group of friends and a couple of them were also finishing on that peak, so it was more of a consensus decision.

However, I can't argue with the Bigelows or Abraham either. Many of the peaks in Maine are good choices, except for Redington and Sugarloaf, although I do love that glacial cirque that you climb above from the CVR on your way to Sugarloaf/Spaulding.

Last edited:
I finished the NE67 on Redington LOL. :eek: Don't do that.

Nothing else to add from me - these comments have it covered.

Welcome to the board.

Wow! First off thank you all for welcoming me aboard. It's a breathe of fresh air just to have a community of people that share my passion for the mountains and outdoors in general. I can't overstate enough how much I look forward to getting to know many of you and quality discussions on topics that I've been boring my friends/coworkers with forever.

I don't think I can argue with the majority here. The Bigelow's sound like a great way to finish the 67. I'll certainly be making an event of it, whether just as a long camping trip, or making sure to take the longest, most difficult approach available. I'm glad I asked. My initial choice was Abraham, but you guys are very convincing. Ideally I'll be planning on one of the less impressive ones next week.

And sometime in the future I'll be wondering where to conclude the NEHH. (Big Jay, I'm predicting, due to it being so far away)

Thanks again guys

I agree with the Bigelows. Just hiked the Bigelow Range yesterday - with one car I'd do a loop hike up the AT and down Firewarden's Trail. Avoid the Blackflies of June, make sure the skies will be CAVU (Clear and Visibility Unlimited). Spending the night to see sun-up from the top would crown the accomplishment.

Fourfingers
[email protected]

Welcome to Views!

I always thought the "last" peaks were a bit anticlimactic and overrated as an objective in itself. Better to do them in order that satisfies both your own schedule as well as accommodates weather and safety ... and savor each one.

The Bigelow Range, being exposed and offering panoramic views is best done in clear weather so I'd recommend it on a good day regardless of how it fits with the last peak objective. If the weather is not so good, there are other foul weather options in the area, maybe a hundred highest instead.

I can remember some details and joys about each and every hike but, quite honestly, I'm hard pressed to remember which was the "last".

While the Bigelows are gorgeous, if you are looking for solitude, you can't go wrong with Abraham. It was one of my favorites.

Postpone your finish.

Go back to NH and VT and hike the NEHH peaks there.

Then go back to Maine, wrap things up, and celebrate a NE67/NEHH finish on Hamlin, the Bigelows, or Abraham. :D

Just sayin':p

For the 67 My vote would be for a finish on the Bigelows with an overnight stay up there, catch the sunrise before you head down.

I'm for this. I finished 4 lists (48, 67, 100 and FF) all on Carrigain. Yes, this was planned several years in advance.

Too late to finish the 48, but 67 and 100 sure. And for a little more spice, throw in the Fifty Finest.

To Una_Dogger and Papa Bear, I really did consider postponing the Bonds and ease off some of the 4000 footers in Maine and get more of the NEHH completed and finish the whole shebang on the Bonds waaay down the road. I so wish I had the patience. Finishing the 4 lists on Carrigain was a great idea. With the firetower for the views and a USGS marker to tap and the nice walk over Signal Ridge it has all you'd want on a ceremonious hike. Ahhh, the patience I lack. So I'll be celebrating a few different times. But hey, hard to argue the idea of multiple celebrations, right:)

I will however save a Presidential for my final winter ascent...hopefully.

Ed! Glad you found it. Thanks again for helping me out. I'm doing my absolute best not to flood the boards with the loads of questions and thoughts that I'd like to throw out there. Its great hearing so many opinions. And of course Ed, I was quickly convinced the Bigelows will be the way to go.

I may as well take the second half of the advice and take in the sunrise too as being from Mass, summit sunrises don't happen to often.

North Brother isn’t getting any love here at all, and there isn’t much for Hamlin, either.

I thought about saving Hamlin for my 115th, but it came in at Number 112. North Brother was 113, the next day, but a return attempt at The Horn was delayed by snow, so it was almost 11 months before it was climbed and another couple of weeks after that before Camel’s Hump wrapped things up.