Maine Roads - Plowed?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cushetunk

Reaction score
Can anyone help me estimate how close my Honda Civic can get me to some western Maine peaks? I'm wondering if any of these roads get plowed and/or may have been plowed in the past few years.

1. Beaudry Road (Gold Brook Rd. in the DeLorme map) to Kibby Mtn.

2. Hardscrabble Road (off Rt 201 near Lake Parlin... DeLorme map 40) to Tumbledown and Number 5.

3. Canada Rd/Wiggle Brook Rd.

Thanks a bunch!

It varies too much from year to year to be sure which roads will be plowed. If there is a active operation in a given place, they will plow it but when they finish, they won't plow it after the next storm. In general, primary roads (e.g. Realty, Golden, Green Top, Tim Pond, etc.) remain plowed throughout the winter. Secondary roads get plowed as needed. Even Caribou Valley Rd. was plowed in for about 2.5 miles for much of last winter but not at all the previous 2 winters.

Two years ago, the Canada Rd. was plowed to the Big Island Pond trail. The year before it wasn't plowed at all. Hardscrabble is likely to be plowed to just past Spencer Lake. I don't know about Beaudry.

good luck and let us know!

spencer

Last edited:
Thanks Spencer.

I figured it would be hit or miss depending on the cutting. I'm still trying to get a sense of which roads are the likely main arteries.

If I can pull myself away from the computer long enough to actually go hiking, I'll report back on what I find.

As of today 1/2. The Caribou Valley Road was plowed at the beginning and it looked well traveled at least as far as I could see.
Also judging by the voliminus amount of full logging trucks going south on Rt. 27 you could guess that Tim Pond and Beaudry Roads are probably plowed. I wouldn't be suprised if the Eustis-Jackman "shortcut" was plowed all the way as well.