Making Your Own Boot Rand

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jime

Reaction score
Finally broke down and picked up a new pair of all leather boots. These do not have a rand going around the sole nor do they have any type of guard over the toe box to protect the leather. In the past I've created my own rand using Seam Sealer which is ugly, servicable but tends to peel off over time. Anybody tried Goop? Or do you have something else you use? Thanks!

Dugan said:

I've never heard of this. Has anybody used it successfully?

Is Shoe Goop sticky or tacky after it is applied? I've never used it for anything. Thanks for the feedback!

jime said:
Is Shoe Goop sticky or tacky after it is applied? I've never used it for anything. Thanks for the feedback!
I presume you mean Shoe Goo.

It goes on as a thick liquid and hardens to a non-sticky non-tacky medium hard rubber-like surface. The surface is pretty tough--it is sold for filling in wear on running shoe soles.

Doug

DougPaul said:
I presume you mean Shoe Goo.

It goes on as a thick liquid and hardens to a non-sticky non-tacky medium hard rubber-like surface. The surface is pretty tough--it is sold for filling in wear on running shoe soles.

Doug

Ayup, that's what I meant and that's what I'm going to use. Good suggestion!

A little advise....make sure the the leather is untreated before applying the shoe goo, it does not stick well to wax or silicone treated leather!