Mansfield Classic 9/19/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Hogan

Reaction score
I recently found a local newspaper article that I’d been saving since August of 2006 titled “Mansfield a Tall Order” by Phil Brown. The narrative describes a classic circuit of Vermont’s highest mountain, Mt. Mansfield (4393’). Jared Gange also recommends this track in two of his excellent books, “Hiker’s Guide to the Mountains of Vermont” and “100 Classic Hikes of the Northeast”. Gange states that the Maple Ridge – Sunset Ridge Loop is “the deluxe route from the west”.

Indeed. I couldn’t agree more since returning from northern Vermont and would offer my own endorsement of this extraordinary route. In fact, this classic hike should be a must on every northeast hiker’s “bucket list”. The weather will be a factor on such a wide-open ridge so if you have the willingness and time to wait until conditions are prime, your hike will be as memorable and unforgettable as mine.

Due to a long round trip drive from home, I decided to spend the night before the hike at a base camp in Underhill State Park. There are only ten tent sites and six lean-tos in the park situated at an elevation of 1850 feet. The camping area is clean, well kept and effectively managed. At this time of the year and on a weekday night, I ended up being the only camper in the tent area.

I spent a very chilly pre-hike night burrowed in my 20-degree sleeping bag and awoke on a crystal clear morning to 34-degree temperatures.

The route (as mentioned by Gange and Brown) to Mansfield’s “Forehead” (3940’) started from Underhill SP and followed a gravely CCC Road that eventually ended at the junction of the Maple Ridge Trail. The moderate but very interesting open-rock scramble (1300’ ascent) started about twenty-five minutes into the Maple Ridge ascent. The climbing was challenging, exciting and lots of fun! After reaching “The Forehead” and connecting with the Long Trail, I was treated to a magnificent two-mile Alpine ridge walk almost entirely above tree line to the main summit (“The Chin”).

The summit was quiet, warm and spectacular. The summit caretaker remarked of the rarity of this day with little or no wind and very few people. After over an hour enjoying magnificent views of the Adirondack High Peaks, the Whites of New Hampshire and the Greens of Vermont, I reluctantly prepared to leave. My 2000’ descent began with a .2-mile backtrack to connect with the Sunset Ridge Trail. I was as awestruck with this route as I was the Maple Ridge Trail.

I carried three liters of water because there is no water available for most of this loop. Thanks to stunning weather, I started hiking in a LS silk weight T, R1 vest and wind shirt, but shed layers ending up in a SS silk weight. Trekking poles were very handy bracing for down climbing and stabilizing on surprisingly slippery dry rock. Common foot placements were almost polished smooth which kept my attention focused on personal safety throughout the day.

It was truly a great day over an unparalleled route. Over my thirty years of hiking, I have been fortunate to be on some of the greatest ridge walks in the east. This hike will now join that exclusive group. It was an exceptional day!

indeed it is a great ridge walk (when the crowds are not there)! love both of the ridge trails from underhill, much more enjoyable than coming in from the stowe side and much more exposed.
sounds like a great hike, even more fun in the winter :D

love both of the ridge trails from underhill, much more enjoyable than coming in from the stowe side and much more exposed.

I'll have to agree...Underhill: Favorite, Stowe: Second favorite. Truly is a fantastic hike...

I'll second that loop as well. I like the Wampahoofus Trail as you get near the ridgeline, not only because of it's silly history, but also because of it's a bit challenging and has good views.

Definitely one of my favorite routes on the mountain. The Maple ridge side of the mountain has the best trails up to the top, and 90% of people that hike Mansfield miss it b/c they hike from the state park lot. I have always been curious about the Wampahoofus trail, whats the background on that trail name?

Pete Hogan said:
Here's what I found about the Wampahoofus. Interesting.

http://www.naturecompass.org/gmcburlington/news/0410wamp.html

Yes, that's similar to the version I'm familiar with, except that to purists the animal is officially named "Sidehill Wampahoofus". The last known sightings were by students assisting Dr. Monroe of UVM in his trailwork in the early 1900's on Mansfield. You may recall the Forestry Trail on Camels Hump was renamed the Monroe Trail in honor of his many years of voluntary trailwork.

Hi Pete,

Nice report. Sounds like a glorious time.
Were you expecting temps in the 30's ?

Yup- interesting link about Wampahoofus.
Sounds like something out of Star Wars.

wampahoofus

"Like many large mammals, the males and females didn’t have much to do with each other except during the period of the year devoted to courtship and mating."

life must have been good for the wampahoofus! although the shrinking limbs ultimately led to thier extinction.

"Like many large mammals, the males and females didn’t have much to do with each other except during the period of the year devoted to courtship and mating."

sounds similar to a relationship i previously had with a certain someone!!

This is the first i've heard of the wampahoofus story...interesting...

Cool but not uncomfortable

Hey Rookie!

The forecast predicted low temps and possible frost/freeze for Thursday (9/18). With Underhill's elevation at 1850', it wasn't long before it got chilly. I was OK inside my trusty Walrus tent wrapped tight in my 20-degree bag, but getting out of that warm cocoon was a little uncomfortable at 7 AM the next morning!

The drive from home would have extended the day beyond reasonable practice so Underhill State Park was the perfect solution to setting up for a for a western approach to Mansfield. It is a great SP and very quiet at this time of year -- especially during the week.