Maptech Terrain Navigator Pro 7.0

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevCon223

Reaction score
Brooklyn, New York Avatar: Summit of Marcy
I just received an upgrade offer for Terrain Navigator Pro 7.0. I currently use the regular Terrain Navigator, but the Pro version has alot more features. The offer is $99 for any region (usually $299). My question is, has anyone used the Pro 7.0, and are the extra features worth it. It seems it now puts GPS time on your tracks downloaded from your GPS unit so You can sync your photo's to that location.

We upgraded to it. Your Markers now show the time they were created as do the track Points - you need click on the marker or track point and select show information. If you export markers they now also show the time.

When I first purchased Terrrain navigator (I think it was 5.0, now it's upgraded to 6.04 beta),I bought the whole region (new england) and got NY for free. If I can get the same region, that would be cool. I think the Pro versions also allow you to connect to GIS servers and download sat. images and stuff like Google Maps...

Jay

I just got the flyer from MapTech last night. It is great for those that hike in New England proper, but down here in NJ it isn't that good. I do most of my multiday hiking in NY. Why is NY not part of NE AND also not part of Mid-Atlantic? it's like I'm going to pay $100 for one state. Going to have to ask Maptech about it. When I bought Terrain Navigator 5.0 a few years ago, they had a supersale going on, which was New England AND NY which was perfect. It actually included where I live too since the USGS quads know no borders so I was just able to get my house in the Wanaque Quad since I'm very close to the border.

I'm going to email Maptech about this although personally, there isn't that much more to TN Pro that I would use. I have dialup so the 1 year internet photo gallery is pointless. The only thing cool would be the GPS time tie in for photos and stuff. That would be a fun toy, but not enough for me to upgrade.

Jay

Jay H said:
The only thing cool would be the GPS time tie in for photos and stuff. Jay
That is the feature I like most, since I take alot of pictures, and I'm never sure of their exact location. the aerial photos will be cool also. It was too good of a deal for Me, so I ordered NY and New England.

Jay H said:
I just got the flyer from MapTech last night. It is great for those that hike in New England proper, but down here in NJ it isn't that good. I do most of my multiday hiking in NY. Why is NY not part of NE AND also not part of Mid-Atlantic? it's like I'm going to pay $100 for one state. Going to have to ask Maptech about it. When I bought Terrain Navigator 5.0 a few years ago, they had a supersale going on, which was New England AND NY which was perfect. It actually included where I live too since the USGS quads know no borders so I was just able to get my house in the Wanaque Quad since I'm very close to the border.

I'm going to email Maptech about this although personally, there isn't that much more to TN Pro that I would use. I have dialup so the 1 year internet photo gallery is pointless. The only thing cool would be the GPS time tie in for photos and stuff. That would be a fun toy, but not enough for me to upgrade.

Jay

If you like to tie in your photos with your track check out this program:topofusion . You do need high speed to download the maps and satelite data though. I find it very user friendly.

The $99 dollar upgrade offer is only good if you already own an older version of Maptech Terrain Navigator Pro. I think the maptech upgrade should be free for those who already paid $300 for each set of CDs. I personally own the regular maptech version and have worked frequently with Maptech Pro in search management, but will not pay the exorbitant prices of maptech pro out of my own pocket. Track and waypoint files created on regular Terrain navigator can be transferred to Terrain Navigator Pro. The aerial photos are available for free other places on the web (such as Google earth), the main advantage is the ability to autostamp a selected data item (such as date or time) on any waypoint you create. This is useful in a large, rapidly developing search environment, but can just as easily be entered manually by the home user with the regular version. The notation feature is cumbersome and hard to use, and does not print out on the maps. I don't see much use for range rings in a non-SAR application.

Bottom line is, only buy Terrain Navigator Pro for specialty applications or if money is no object to you.

John Graham said:
The $99 dollar upgrade offer is only good if you already own an older version of Maptech Terrain Navigator Pro.

John - Check out hte Maptech Website - there is a promo going on right now where you can buy it new for only $99.

Here is the exact wording of the upgrade offer from the website:

Registered Terrain Navigator Pro customers can upgrade for only $99.95 per state through November 30, 2005. Please contact us to order at the upgrade price.

Note that you must already be a registered Terrain Navigator Pro customer.

I also recieved the email/mail on the upgrade offer for registered users.

I just calld Maptech and confirmed that Navigator Pro is currently on sale through the end of November for new users for $99.

John Graham said:
Here is the exact wording of the upgrade offer from the website:

Registered Terrain Navigator Pro customers can upgrade for only $99.95 per state through November 30, 2005. Please contact us to order at the upgrade price.

Note that you must already be a registered Terrain Navigator Pro customer.
I only have the regular Terrain Navigator and I ordered the Pro for only $99. It is the same one as the $299 (for new install). It's a promo for all registered Maptech customers.

That is a good deal, but I am surprised that it is not shown on the website. If I had not already spent $300 on the regular terrain navigator I would probably take the offer.

Buy it here too

I found this link too: $99.00 Offer

Can't wait to get this one so I can Make those great Maps like Bob and Geri do!

Nice Stuff

I received my new copy of Maptech Terrain Navigator Pro version 7.0 yesterday and have been playing around with it. I have only been using GPS since early this summer and so far this software I have found to be the most user friendly and feature full of everything I have tried.
I have a Garmin 60CS and Map Source came with it. I also have and tried Delorme Topo USA version 5.0.
Again Terrain Navigator IMO wins out. At $99.00 this is a heck of a deal.
If you don't have it yet go for it!

I'm having some trouble getting My photos in sync with My track point times. It puts the geopin anywhere it wants and I can't figure out how to place the photos in time with the track log. In the help box, it shows a selection box to place geopins according to time points, but I can't find that box to make that selection. I'll just have to mess with it some more.

I know part of My problem was that even though the GPS time said Eastern Standard Time, the track log time points were in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). I guess it didn't compensate for the offset (-5 hrs). I made some adjustments and now the GPS and track time should be in sync. Now I have to see why it don't recognize the time stamp on My photo files. Later today, I will call Maptech and see if they know what the problem could be and if they can talk Me through it.

KevCon223 said:
I know part of My problem was that even though the GPS time said Eastern Standard Time, the track log time points were in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). I guess it didn't compensate for the offset (-5 hrs). I made some adjustments and now the GPS and track time should be in sync.

I noticed that as well - what did you adjust?

Oops! I thought I had it in sync. Since it is receiving the time from the sattelite, it will only be UTC (Zulu) time. The offset will allow the GPS to show the time in your zone. I can't (so far) figure out a way to make the track points use the local time.