March Winter Catskills Peak Bagathon 9th-12th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarthNsky

Reaction score
Thursday night, 3/9: Camp at McKennley Hollow Lean-to.

Friday 3/10: Hike up to the Pine Hill West Br Trail to Balsam and then turn back south and continue south up and over Eagle and then Big Indian. I hope to add Fir Mtn to the fray, but I have to find a route.

Friday night: I am lodging in a hotel.

Saturday, 3/11: Hike up Slide, making a loop out of WCS, PE and CO trails and then driving a mile or so north on Slide Mountain Rd and then hiking up to Panther via the PE and then GP trails and camping Saturday night on Giant Ledge.

Sunday, 3/12: If there is time, I'd like to get one more peak and I am thinking about Halcott. Post hike feast. Head home.

Most important goal for the trip is to get Balsam, Slide and Panther since they are winter peaks.

If you're interested in joining, please let me know.

There will be a bunch of us in the catkills, but it's Tmax's winter finish on Sunday and I'm doing Lone/Rocky on saturday with Hermit...

We're celebrating in Tannersville sunday after-hike though at the Last Chance Cheese shop so far at this point...

jay

if at all possible, maybe we can try and find you guys at the LCCS in Tannersville on Sunday.

peak bag marathon 3/9-12

on sun. i did a club hike up big indian via biscuit brook. 1/4 mi. bushwhack to big indian. bushwhack over to indian back to the trail. it was a well executed hike. very efficient. with the warming temps and rain thurs. & fri. it could be trough to follow our tracks.

i'd like to do halcott early sun. am.

Last edited:
I will be in that area Friday. I was going to do either Panther or Slide/Cornell. It is not set in stone since I am going solo. What time do you plan on starting Friday and what is the milage look like. The earliest I would be able to get up there is 8AM. It may be too late for you since you are staying overnight.

have fun in the cats...wish i could join you!! :cool:

That first 1.5 miles or so from Biscuit brook can be a small stream! At least until you get to that first steep incline...

Jay

snowshoe said:
I will be in that area Friday. I was going to do either Panther or Slide/Cornell. It is not set in stone since I am going solo. What time do you plan on starting Friday and what is the milage look like. The earliest I would be able to get up there is 8AM. It may be too late for you since you are staying overnight.

We switched the schedule around. We're now heading up to Giant Ledge tonight and then tomorrow morning getting Panther. Then we plan on getting Slide after Panther. Not sure what time we'll be starting Tomorrow, but if you hike up to Giant Ledge and start at 8, you'd likely run into us.

Saturday we're going to hike up fir from Burnham Hollow and then over to Big Indian and then north on the PHW towards Balsam and we're going to camp at McKennley Hollow LT.

Sunday, we'd like to get Halcott and if we can do it, we'll probably start around 9amish. If any of the peaks get scrapped from the plan, Halcott, is the expendable one.